TARRYTOWN, NY (AP / CBSNewYork) – Twenty years after a Tiffany stained glass window was put into storage, it is again gracing a suburban New York church.
WCBS 880’s Catherine Cioffi: The Choir Sang For The Beauty Of The EarthREAD MORE: Former Aides Karen Hinton, Lindsey Boylan Accuse Gov. Andrew Cuomo Of Bullying, Sexual Harassment
Known as the John Knox Allen Memorial Tiffany window, it was designed in Tiffany’s New York studios in 1930. It hung above the altar of the First Reformed Church of North Tarrytown in honor of Allen. He was pastor of the church for 50 years.
North Tarrytown is now Sleepy Hollow.READ MORE: 6-Year-Old Boy Struck And Killed While Attempting To Board School Bus With Brother In Brooklyn
When the church merged in 1991 with the Second Reformed Church down the street, the window was taken down and crated up.
The Journal News says parishioners of the combined church on Sunday admired the restored window in an annex that was expanded to accommodate it.
“When this was unveiled, the choir sang for the beauty of the Earth, and it really did feel that way. You know, this is such a gift that G-d has given to us,” Pastor Jeffrey Gargano told WCBS 880 reporter Catherine Cioffi.MORE NEWS: GameStop Shares Surge Nearly 104% In One Day
(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)