TRENTON, NJ (AP) – Officials in New Jersey are warning people don’t eat wild mushrooms.

The state’s Poison Information and Education System says two people were hospitalized in Hudson County in addition to one in Monmouth County and one in Ocean County after eating what they thought were edible mushrooms.

READ MORE: Sharon Gless On Book 'Apparently There Were Complaints: Cagney & Lacey 'Changed The History Of Television For Women'

Officials say the recent rainfall spawned a bumper crop of mushrooms in the Garden State.

NJPIES executive and medical director Steven Marcus told The Express-Times of Easton, Pa., the center has received more than a dozen additional calls over the last 24 to 48 hours.

READ MORE: Former Rep. Max Rose Running For Congress Again

The center says there’s no easy way to tell the difference between poisonous and harmless mushrooms.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning include intense vomiting and diarrhea.

Would you ever eat a wild mushroom? Sound off below!

MORE NEWS: Parents On Alert After Student Robbed At Knifepoint In Queens Middle School Bathroom; 'How Does Somebody Get Past Security?'

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)