NORTH MERRICK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A school was placed on lockdown Tuesday following a police chase and crash on Long Island.

Police chased the suspects about nine miles to North Merrick where the suspected stolen car crashed into the side of the Harold D. Fayette School, 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera reports.

READ MORE: Mayor De Blasio Announces Vaccine Mandate For All New York City Municipal Workers, Including First Responders

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall On The Story

Rivera reports it all began with an alleged carjacking on Ohio Street in Hicksville just before 12 p.m. According to police, a gun-wielding suspect and his accomplice overpowered a student who had come home from school on his lunch hour. His mother said the garage door was open when two suspicious men, who had been lurking in a nearby parked car, walked up the driveway.

“He came home to check the pressure of the tires on his lunch time and two men parked across the street — his car was in my garage — put a gun in his face, stole his car, his wallet and his phone,”  Geralyn Verde told CBS 2’s Jennifer McLogan.

Police said the terrified victim called 911 with the license plate of his stolen silver gray Infiniti. An officer with the Nassau County Police’s Bureau of Special Operations quickly spotted the carjacker in North Bellmore, called for backup and then they joined the pursuit into Merrick.

“(The officers were) realizing they have a very dangerous individual going to school, follow him. The suspect goes around into the back parking lot where he rams one of the BSO officer’s cars nearly head on. The suspect then crashes into the building. The suspect then jumps out of car and is apprehended,” Deputy Inspector Kenneth Lack said.

The doors were already secured at the school as it went into lockdown.

READ MORE: 1 Dead, Another Injured After Police Pursuit Ends In Crash In Holtsville

“I think we were very fortunate given that the suspect was armed and probably desperate, given he looked like he was going to try to gain access to the school,” Merrick Schools Superintendent David Feller said.

Parents received texts and phone calls that their little ones were unharmed, but still there was worry.

“I’m concerned for my son. My son is a kindergartner,” one parent said.

“I came running down to make sure my son’s okay,” another parent said.

“It’s hard when it hits home and it’s your kids and you just want to make sure that they’re safe,” a third parent added.

The carjacking victim is now with police working to identify the second suspect, who is still on the loose. Police said he fled in his own car while police pursued the armed carjacker.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below …

MORE NEWS: Employee Stabbed To Death At East Harlem Deli