NEW YORK(CBSNewYork) — Officers executing a search warrant in Rockaway, Queens noticed a man hanging out of an apartment window, screaming for help as plumes of smoke came out from behind him.

The apartment’s occupants were trapped inside by a malfunctioning door lock. Unable to open the door from the inside, they retreated to a back room where the smoke was not as heavy.

The fire started in the kitchen and spread rapidly. Detective Hassan Hamdy told 1010 WINS that it appeared to be a grease fire.

Detectives and first responders entered the smoke-filled apartment, found the family, and began working to contain the fire.

The apartment’s five occupants were taken to Jamaica hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. The officers who entered the apartment were taken to Long Island Jewish hospital where they were also treated for smoke inhalation.


Leave a Reply