NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Every Friday in July we’re telling you what to pick up at your local farmer’s market, and what to make with it once you’re back in your kitchen.
For this edition of Farmer’s Market Friday, Nicolette Pace joined us with her recipe for Fresh Native Zucchini Boats.READ MORE: Join Us For Our Candidate Conversation With Jack Ciattarelli Tonight At 7 p.m. On CBSN New York
For more information, click here.
Nicolette Pace’s Fresh Native Zucchini Boats
Light and satisfying these local summertime favorites are right at home with the natural fusion of American summer squash and protein rich quinoa, laced with Mediterranean seasonings for a healthy and low calorie, versatile menu item for an appetizer, side dish or even entrée.
- 4 small summer zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 small onion chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 sprigs parsley minced.
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg or ¼ cup liquid egg
- 2 Tbs. seasoned bread crumbs
- Spray oil
1. Soak quinoa in water for about 15 minutes. After soaking, rinse and simmer quinoa in a ratio of 1 part quinoa to 1 ¼ parts water for about 30 minutes. The seeds will become swollen and translucent.
2. Wash and cut each zucchini in half and then again in quarters. Take a small teaspoon, scoop out the interior of the squash and reserve. Be sure to leave a shell of about ¼ inch to hold filling.READ MORE: De Blasio Administration 'Disappointed' With Judge's Decision To Temporarily Stop Plan To Change City Retiree Health Benefits
3. Place the zucchini boats in boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Drain and pat dry.
4. Meanwhile, sauté the onion, garlic and parsley in olive oil until slightly browned. Add the reserved filling and cook for 10 minutes until the liquid is evaporated and the filling is softened substantially.
5. Remove from burner, place in a mixing bowl with the quinoa, grated cheese and egg and mix until blended.
6. Fill each boat with the vegetarian mixture. Top with seasoned bread crumbs, lightly spray with oil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the topping is golden. Delicious hot or at room temperature.
Eat Healthy! Be Happy!MORE NEWS: NYPD: Suspect Grabbed 11-Year-Old Girl's Hair, Tried To Choke Her At Stuyvesant Square Park