NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – For the end of Back To School Meals week, Chef Rama Ginde of WannaBee Chef in Bergen County brought some schoolkids to the CBS 2 studios to cook up some mac and cheese.Times Square Shooting: Intense Manhunt For Suspect; Sources Say Police Locate Discarded Clothes Nearby Scene
Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese
Serves 4READ MORE: New York Weather: Sunday 5/9 Mother's Day Evening CBS2 Weather Headlines
- 1/2 box whole grain elbow macaroni (8 ounces)
- 1 cup canned butternut squash puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 oz low fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup caramelized onions
- 1 large crispy apple, chopped or grated
- 4 tablespoons crumbled bacon
Cook the pasta according to directions. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add butternut squash, chicken broth, evaporated milk, and cream cheese. When combined, add in salt.
Add onions and apples to the pasta. Stir to combine and add a tablespoon more broth or milk if needed.MORE NEWS: Prosecutors: Juan Ixcotoyac-Tiu, 25, Sexually Assaulted 8-Year-Old Girl In Bloomingdale, N.J.
Just before serving, mix in cheese and stir until melted. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon bacon.