HARTFORD, Conn. (CBSNewYork) – Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy says his state’s overall response to superstorm Sandy was improved, when compared to the freak Halloween weekend storm of 2011 and storm Irene.
WCBS 880 Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau On The StoryREAD MORE: 18-Year-Old Saadiq Teague Arrested After Being Spotted With AK-47 At Times Square Subway Station
Malloy credits, in large part, the drills held over the summer for the response to Sandy.
He said performance by the utilities was better then it was after last year’s storms, but they will still need to be reviewed.
“We passed legislation after those two storms that require that anytime that the utilities have more than 10 percentof their customers out, there will automatically be a review of their performance,” he told WCBS 880 Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau on Thursday.READ MORE: COVID Vaccine In New York: Walk-In Appointments Offered To All New Yorkers Over 50 At City-Run Sites
That review will be done by the state utility regulating agency.
“So, I’ll reserve judgement as to how well they did until such time as that review takes place, but having said that, they clearly did a better job than in the other storms,” Malloy said.
The governor says businesses which took a hit will be assisted by the Small Business Administration to ensure they are aware of all the federal help to which they are entitled. You can contact them at 800-827-5722.MORE NEWS: Discarded Tombstone Spotted On Empty Lot Raising Questions In Paramus
Malloy added that while touring the state after the storm, many homeowners in shoreline areas thanked him for insisting that they evacuate since some of those homes were destroyed.