NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Jack is one lucky dog.

Jack, a 13-year-old Jack Russel Terrier, may have had a craving for copper, or perhaps was saving for a rainy day when he ate 111 pennies from inside the New York City home he shares with his owner, Tim Kelleher.

READ MORE: Concerned New Jersey Parents Call For Remote Learning Option Amid COVID Surge

Jack developed an upset stomach and began to vomit, so Kelleher rushed him to an emergency veterinary hospital in Manhattan.

Vets took X-rays and noticed foreign objects inside the pooch.

A doctor then began to remove all of the pennies — five at a time — via endoscopy until all 111 were recovered.

111 pennies removed from Jack's stomach. (BluePearl)

111 pennies removed from Jack’s stomach. (BluePearl)

Besides the danger of blocking the intestines and creating gastrointestinal problems, pennies minted after 1982 are mainly made out of zinc and are considered to be toxic to pets, according to BluePearl Veterinary Partners.

The zinc inside of pennies can cause damage to the kidneys, liver and red blood cells.

READ MORE: Michelle Go's Death At Times Square Station Ratchets Up Pressure On NYC To End Subway Crime

“Early and safe removal was absolutely imperative to Jack’s health,” said Dr. Amy Zalcman, a senior emergency doctor at BluePearl, who oversaw the dog’s treatment. “If Jack would not have had the pennies removed, the consequences would have been fatal.”

Jack's X-ray (BluePearl)

Jack’s X-ray (BluePearl)

Charitable pet foundation Frankie’s Friends helped pay for Jack’s emergency procedure.

If you’d like to help save the life of a pet whose family cannot afford the cost of medical care visit or call 888.465.PETS.

Jack is expected to make a full recovery.

We’re not sure how Jack is going to spend his $1.11, but hopefully on something tastier (and safer) than pennies.

MORE NEWS: 1 Dead, 5 Police Officers Among 8 Injured In Suspected Gas Explosion At Bronx Home

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below …