NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Giants have agreed to re-sign left guard Kevin Boothe.
The 29-year-old Queens native was an unrestricted free agent.READ MORE: Delta Variant Intensifies Urgency To Get Vaccinated Against COVID-19, Health Experts Say
Boothe has been with Big Blue since 2007, and was a member of the Super Bowl XLII and Super Bowl XLVI-winning teams.
A key piece of the Giants’ offensive line, Boothe had drawn interest this offseason from the Carolina Panthers, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Chicago Bears, according to NFL.com.
Right guard Chris Snee said last week that he was worried about the prospect of Boothe not returning to the Giants in 2013.
“Kevin is a good friend of mine, and obviously I want him back,” Snee said at the time. “I think he’s a great player. He’s been very important to us the past couple years. But that’s not my decision to make, and I know (general manager) Jerry Reese will put the best team out there he can. I hope it’s with Kevin Boothe … He’s not signed yet, so I am concerned. But it’s out of my hands.
“The best I can do is just to be there for him as a friend, and if he happens to move on he’ll be a great addition to whatever team he goes to.”
Snee, who has played with the Giants since 2004, no longer has to worry.READ MORE: 'The Late Show With Stephen Colbert' Returns In Front Of A Live Audience Monday Night
Boothe admitted that he tested the open market and entertained other opportunities.
“I think you owe it to yourself to put yourself out there,” Boothe told Giants.com. “The entire time I wanted to return to the New York Giants, and fortunately they wanted me back. I’m happy to be back. It’s a great organization and a great team. I’m looking forward to this upcoming season.”
The veteran out of Cornell University is ready to continue being the consummate team player, doing whatever coach Tom Coughlin asks of him.
“I’m just happy to do whatever is needed,” Boothe told the team’s website. “I’m going into my seventh year here with the Giants. Whatever role they need me to be in, I’m more than happy to fill. Whether it was the first person off the bench in years past or being the starter this past year, I approach every day with 100 percent effort. Whatever I can do to help the team, that’s what I’m all about.”
Boothe started all 16 games for New York last season.
“Kevin is a pro’s pro, and we’re happy to have him back,” Reese said, according to Giants.com. “His return will provide experience, versatility, competition and depth on our offensive line.”
With the return of Boothe, the G-Men now have their entire starting offensive line back for the upcoming season. The unit consists of Snee, center David Baas,��tackle David Diehl — who restructured his contract — and tackle Will Beatty, who re-signed with the team last month.MORE NEWS: See It: NYPD Says Teenager Targeted For His Shoes By 2 Suspects Inside Bronx Bodega
Did you expect Boothe to be back with the G-Men in 2013? Sound off with your thoughts and comments below…