TRENTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) – The Federal Emergency Management Agency says it has settled 96 percent of the post-Superstorm Sandy National Flood Insurance Program claims in New Jersey.

The agency says that as of Tuesday, there had been 74,825 claims filed and 70,689 had been closed.

READ MORE: NYPD: Delivery Worker Stabbed To Death, E-Bike Stolen Near Sara D. Roosevelt Park

That’s a major change from two months ago when Gov. Chris Christie was complaining that the agency was processing claims too slowly in a state hit hard by the October storm.

READ MORE: 'NYC Play Fair' Rally Held At Barclays Center For Student-Athletes Unable To See Scouts Due To COVID Restrictions

In early February, the governor said that only 30 percent of claims had been settled. It turned out his numbers were out-of-date and the agency had settled just over half the claims in the state at the time.

MORE NEWS: Police: Suspect In Killing Of New Rochelle Taxi Driver Taken Into Custody After Shootout In Brooklyn

The flood insurance program is run through private-sector insurance companies.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)