Police: Live Wire Should Have Been Buried

BRIDGEWATER, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A construction worker renovating a home hit by superstorm Sandy was nearly electrocuted Tuesday, police said.

READ MORE: NYPD Officer Wilbert Mora Remains Hospitalized After Harlem Shooting; Sources Say Suspect Had Multiple Guns Hidden Under Mattress

The 34-year-old man from Brick, N.J. was outside trying to determine why the house had lost power when he touched a live grounding wire, CBS 2’s Christine Sloan reported. The wire was supposed to be buried, police said.

A neighbor who works as an emergency medical technician told Sloan that he ran outside and found that the victim had no pulse and was not breathing. The EMT said he performed CPR and revived the man.

READ MORE: Scrap Metal Fire At Port Newark Sends Heavy Smoke Into Surrounding Neighborhoods

The construction worker was rushed to the hospital. His condition is unknown.

A spokesperson for Jersey Central Power & Light said it did not know why the wire was sticking out of the ground, and it was investigating the incident. The utility stressed that safety is its top priority, and crews were repairing the wire Tuesday evening.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

MORE NEWS: New Video In Search For Gunman Who Shot 11-Month-Old With Stray Bullet; Reward Up To $10,000

[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]