NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York may be known for its pizza, but it’s a pie from New Haven, Conn. that takes home the prize as Best Pizza in America.
The website The Daily Meal compiled a list of the top 101 pizzas in the nation, drawing on votes from what it describes as 46 American chefs, restaurant critics, bloggers, writers and “pizza authorities.”READ MORE: Sources: Ex-Boyfriend Guns Down Woman Working At Construction Site On City Island
While New York grabbed the most slots, 30 in all, it was Frank Pepe’s in New Haven that topped the list with its white clam pizza, made with clams, grated parmesan, olive oil, garlic and oregano.
Frank Pepe’s co-owner Francis Rosselli said it’s not the first time the restaurant has been recognized for its pies.
“Those accolades are always welcome, we appreciate it them very much,” he told 1010 WINS. “We certainly feel honored every time that happens.”
Brooklyn’s Di Fara came in second with its classic round pie made with mozzarella, parmesan, plum tomato sauce, basil, olive oil, sausage, peppers, mushroom, onion.
Below is the rest of the top 20 of The Daily Meal’s best. For complete results, click here.
3. The marinara pizza from Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix.
4. Margherita pizza from Una Pizza Napoletana in San Francisco, Calif.
5. Squash blossoms, tomato and burrata mozzarella pizza from Pizzeria Mozza in Los Angeles, Calif.
6. The Margherita pizza from Roberta’s in Brooklyn.
7. The tomato pie from Sally’s Apizza in New Haven, Conn.
8. The Margherita pizza from Flour + Water in San Francisco, Calif.READ MORE: NYPD: Woman Found Dead In Trunk Of Car In Queens, 4 Men In Custody
9. Brussels sprouts pizza from Motorino in New York City.
10. Margherita pizza from Al Forno in Providence, R.I.
11. The Italian Bomb pizza from Modern Apizza in New Haven, Conn.
12. Margherita pizza from Totonno’s in Brooklyn.
13. The Regina pizza from Paulie Gee’s in Brooklyn.
14. The Apizza Amore pizza from Apizza Scholls in Portland, Ore.
15. The New York style pizza from South Brooklyn Pizza in New York.
16. The Keste pizza from Keste in New York City.
17. The Popeye pizza from Co. in New York.
18. The Tomato Pie from Papa’s Tomato Pies in Trenton, N.J.
19. The Cheese Board in Berkeley, Calif. (pizza changes daily)MORE NEWS: Father Jim Worth And Ben Hack, Who Lives With Autism, Share Special Bond Over Music And More: 'It Thrills Me'
20. The 2Amy’s pizza from 2Amys in Washington, D.C.