JERSEY CITY, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — An employee has been fired and a Jersey City day care center reopened Friday, one day after more than two dozen children and adults were accidentally served a mix of water and bleach.

The parent company of the Growing Tree Learning II said the center opened after several state and local agencies investigated Thursday’s incident.

Twenty-eight children and two adults ingested the bleach after an employee mistakenly poured drinks from a bottle that was being used to clean tables.

“Unfortunately, it was not labeled and somebody thought it was regular water and had served some small Dixie cups of this solution to the children,” said Michael Bessette, Chairman of Emergency Medicine at Jersey City Medical Center.

Keith Kearney, executive director of United Cerebral Palsy of Hudson County, the day care center’s parent company, said the employee has been fired. He said it was her first day on the job and she was a substitute teacher’s aide.

The adults and children had complained of nausea, lightheadedness and stomachaches.

“It was in a low concentration so it didn’t cause any damage to the children,” Bessette said.

Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health contacted a poison control center for guidance and treated the patients by giving them liquids, said hospital spokesman Mark Rabson. All were released Thursday afternoon.

A spokesman for New Jersey’s Department of Children and Families, which licenses the center, said the agency was investigating.

Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply