NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is looking into ways to prevent tragedies like the death of a Bronx man who was purposely pushed onto the tracks earlier this month.

Responding to an audience question at a recent NYU Law School forum, MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas Prendergast said the agency is looking at four devices that would detect motion on the tracks and alert the system, WCBS 880’s Paul Murnane reported.

The New York Daily News reported this summer testing has gone well with track-intrusion devices, and the MTA is looking to pay for the system in its $30 billion capital plan, which currently has a $15 million funding gap.

Prendergast said there are logistical concerns when it comes to door systems along the edge of subway platforms.

“Do you hang it from the ceiling structure? Do you build it out from a protruded platform edge that’s cantilevered out? There’s some very difficult engineering issues there,” he said. “And do you have a signal system that’s compatible?”

Doors, however, could be installed at one station under a pilot project.

On Nov. 16, 61-year-old Wai Kuen Kwok was pushed in front of an oncoming D train at the Grand Concourse and East 167th Street station in the Bronx, police said. Kevin Darden, 34, has been indicted on charges of second-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter.

Police said Kwok was standing on the platform with his wife and that there is no indication that Kwok and Darden knew each other or had any interaction before the incident.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
[display-posts category=”news” posts_per_page=”4″]

Comments

Leave a Reply