NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Bill Cosby’s wife released a statement Monday, saying those who have accused him of sexual assault have been have been “given a pass” without their accounts ever being vetted.
Camille Cosby noted that she met her husband in 1963 and married him the following year, and said he is, in fact, “the man you thought you knew.”READ MORE: New York City Students Return From Holiday Weekend To Revised Attendance Policy
“The man I met, and fell in love with, and whom I continue to love, is the man you knew through his work. He is a kind man, a generous man, a funny man, and a wonderful husband, father and friend,” Camille Cosby wrote.
She called the portrait created by the allegations against Bill Cosby “the portrait of a man I do not know.”
“There appears to be no vetting of my husband’s accusers before stories are published or aired. An accusation is published, and immediately goes viral,” Camille Cosby wrote.
Camille Cosby made reference to recent scandal surrounding a Rolling Stone magazine article about an alleged gang rape at a University of Virginia fraternity house. The magazine has admitted to mistakes in the story, and friends have given different accounts of what happened from that of the victim, “Jackie.”
“We followed the story of the article in the ‘Rolling Stone’ concerning allegations of rape at the University of Virginia. The story was heart-breaking, but ultimately appears to be untrue. Many in the media were quick to link that story to stories about my husband – until that story unwound,” Camille Cosby wrote. “None of us will ever want to be in the position of attacking a victim. But the question should be asked – who is the victim?”
Bill Cosby’s attorney on Monday also released a statement, taking an issue with a story published Saturday by the New York Post that claimed Cosby had “broken hi silence.”READ MORE: Former NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Says He Will Not Run For Governor
The article by Stacy Brown said Cosby had “lectured the media on remaining ‘neutral,’” and specifically said the African-American media – for which Brown said in the story that he often writes himself – should “go in with a neutral mind.”
Bill Cosby’s attorney, John P. Schmitt, wrote that Cosby and Brown did, in fact, have a telephone conversation. But Schmitt also wrote that Cosby was not told that he was being interviewed on the record, that the conversation was being recorded, or that Brown was writing for the New York Post.
“In a discussion of journalistic standards, Mr. Brown failed to adhere to the most basic standards of his profession,” Schmitt wrote.
More than 20 women have made sexual assault or drugging allegations against Cosby. The most recent last week was supermodel Beverly Johnson, who claimed that she went to rehearse a scene for the “Cosby Show” in the 1980s, Bill Cosby instead tried to drug her.
Meanwhile Monday, an Atlanta college has distanced itself from Bill Cosby. Spelman College suspended a professorship named after Cosby and his wife.
The program was set up to bring positive attention to the school, after the couple donated $20 million to the college in 1988.
You May Also Be Interested In These StoriesMORE NEWS: Candlelight Vigil Tonight For Michelle Go, Woman Pushed In Front Of Train At Times Square Subway Station
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]