NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A couple in their 80s and another man and woman were killed in a carbon monoxide incident in Floral Park, Queens Friday afternoon.

The incident began at around 3:15 p.m. in a single family home at 260th Street near 86th Avenue, according to EMS, 1010 WINS’ Derricke Dennis reported.

Jerry Hugel, 83, was found dead in a garage, and Marie Hugel, 80, was found dead in the lower floor adjacent to a garage, sources said. They were found dead by their son, an NYPD sergeant, who called 911, sources said.

Walter Vonthadden, 76, was found dead in the upstairs living room, and Gloria Greco, 70, was found dead upstairs near a staircase, sources said.

One of the two victims in their 70s lived in the house as a tenant, while the other was a visitor, police said.

Police said a Buick was found running in the garage, CBS2’s Matt Kozar reported.

Neighbors said Jerry and Marie Hugel were a friendly neighborhood couple.

Jerry and Marie Hugel died on Friday, April 10 in what is believed to be a carbon monoxide incident in Floral Park, Queens. (Credit: BavarianDance.net)

Jerry and Marie Hugel died on Friday, April 10 in what is believed to be a carbon monoxide incident in Floral Park, Queens. (Credit: BavarianDance.net)

“They just celebrated their 60th anniversary last year too,” Teresa Kepertis, who lives nearby, told CBS2’s Alice Gainer. “So pleasant to talk to – they loved their garden. They always sat in their yard in the spring and summertime – just nice people.”

Neighbor Helga Harter told WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell she was best friends with the Hugels, and said they were involved with a local German organization and dancing group.

“We know those people over 35 years, and I’m kind of shocked, really,” added neighbor Barbara Stoja. “Still to this day, he was still dancing with his children and his wife at all the festivals; the German parade and everything.”

City Councilman Mark Weprin (D-Queens) said a firefighter was also hospitalized in the incident.

“My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and families of the victims,” Weprin said in the statement. “It is my hope that this tragedy sheds light on the importance of having, and maintaining, a carbon monoxide detector in all homes and apartments.”

Neighbors agreed.

“Maybe we’ve got to go to every single house and check to see if they do have (a carbon monoxide detector),” one woman said.

A mother and her young daughter in East Orange, N.J. were accidentally killed by carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week, the Essex County Prosecutor’s office said Friday.

Comments

Leave a Reply