AMITYVILLE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Toxic chemicals at a soap factory promoted a major hazardous materials situation in Amityville, Long Island Tuesday.
The situation was reported late Tuesday afternoon at the AlPak Soap Company, at 175 Dixon Ave., officials told CBS2.
Workers were mixing products at the factory when there was a delay that caused a plume of gas to form, police said.
“It was chlorine bleach – very dangerous,” an Amityville fire official said. “But luckily, they were fortunate to stay away from it. They realized that and they got out, and no one was in danger.”
Suffolk County fire and police crews, and firefighters from Amityville and Babylon, were called to the scene, officials said.
Several neighboring homes on Overland and Dixon avenues were evacuated, officials said. Residents were later allowed back to their homes.
No injuries were reported.