NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The South Bronx Legionnaires’ disease outbreak has now taken the lives of seven people, officials said Monday.
The total number of deaths was up from four reported as of late last week. The additional deaths were reported on Sunday to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.READ MORE: COVID Vaccine In New York: Walk-In Appointments Offered To All New Yorkers Over 50 At City-Run Sites
All of those who died were older adults with underlying medical problems, the department said.
The total number of people infected by Legionnaires’ in the South Bronx has risen to 81, and the number hospitalized has risen to 64. A total of 28 of those 64 patients have been discharged.