NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police are searching for an armed robber who has been targeting women in Brooklyn.
The man, who brandishes a silver handgun, is responsible for five robberies from Aug. 20 to Aug. 29 on the streets of Kensington and Windsor Terrace, police told CBS2’s Dave Carlin. All the thefts occurred within quick walking distance of a Fort Hamilton Parkway subway station, where cameras caught him, colorfully dressed, coming and going.READ MORE: Stephen Sondheim, Legend Of The Broadway Musical, Dead At 91
• At around 2 a.m. on Aug. 20, the man ordered a 54-year-old woman at Caton Avenue near East Seventh Street to hand over her bag, police said.
• At around midnight on Aug. 23, the armed robber stole a 35-year-old woman’s phone and cash at East Fourth Street near Fort Hamilton Parkway, cops said.
• Just before 1 a.m. on Aug. 27, the man allegedly stole cash from a 28-year-old woman at at gunpoint at Ocean Parkway and Albemarle Road.
• Minutes later, the gunman robbed a 34-year-old woman of her cash, credit cards and phone, according to police.
• At around 11 p.m. on Aug. 29, the suspect allegedly robbed a 20-year-old woman at 19th and Seeley streets.READ MORE: NYPD: Landlord-Tenant Dispute Suspected In Canarsie Fire That Seriously Injured 2
Neighbors say detectives have been in the neighborhood distributing wanted fliers so that people will be extra alerts as the manhunt continues.
The crime spree has left residents worried.
“For this to happen in a whole week — there’s been five of them — that’s scary,” said Lauren McGowan, of Windsor Terrace.
“I’d like to see cops in this station all the time,” Jacqueline Henry said in the subway station.MORE NEWS: Rangers Erupt In Third Period, Continue Fantastic Start With Win Over Bruins
“When I come in and out of school, there’s little to no people here,” said Henry’s high school-age daughter, Jada.