NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — A runner from Italy who had been missing since completing Sunday’s New York City Marathon has been found.

An off-duty officer on his way to work noticed Gianclaudio Marengo on a southbound No. 2 subway train near Penn Station at around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, police said. He was still wearing his racing attire, including a turquoise shirt and black shorts, police said. He also was carrying a clear plastic bag with his belongings. 

The 30-year-old Marengo, a recovering heroin addict, had last been seen in Central Park about 39 hours earlier.

Man Yam, the officer who spotted him, works in recruitment and was reading a newspaper on the subway when he looked up and saw Marengo, who was pictured in the paper.

“I was sitting across from this gentleman, I said, is this the guy they are looking for in distress,” he told CBS2’s Dick Brennan.

The officer managed to coax Marengo, who doesn’t speak English, off the train at the Park Place station.Yam speaks Cantonese and Spanish, the Spanish worked with the Italian tourist.

“This gentleman across from me matches the attire he was wearing was running gear, plus he had very dry lips which gave the indication that possibly it seemed it had been an extended amount of time since he had eaten or drank,” Yam said.

Marengo was not wearing his marathon bib, but had a marathon backpack. The officer approached him and asked if he was okay.

The two went for a doughnut and coffee and the officer showed Marengo his picture in the paper, when Marengo confirmed it was him.

Marengo was in New York to run the marathon with residents of San Patrignano, a famous European addiction rehabilitation center, CBS2’s Tony Aiello reported.

Before the race, Marengo was quoted by Italian media as saying he took up running to lose weight and change his lifestyle.

He finished the 26.2-mile marathon in four hours and 44 minutes, according to the NYC Marathon website. He never showed up to meet his group at their hotel in Long Island City.

Officer Man Yam (Credit: NYPD)

Officer Man Yam noticed Gianclaudio Marengo on a No. 2 subway train. (Credit: NYPD)

He was apparently wandering around the city after the race, and was unable to find his way to his hotel.

Police said Marengo had an unlimited Metrocard and was basically just riding the trains and hadn’t eaten or drank in nearly two days.

Marengo appears to be in good condition and was taken to a hospital for evaluation as a precaution. He was treated for dehydration.

The group of runners Marengo was with has since returned home. He will soon fly back to Milan.

(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply