RONKONKOMA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A fast-acting school nurse is being praised for rescuing a Long Island student who collapsed after smoking synthetic marijuana.

The 10th grade student collapsed in the girls’ locker room of Sachem High School East on Monday after smoking the drug, also known as “K2” or “Spice,” WCBS 880’s Mike Xirinachs reported.

She recovered after a school nurse administered Narcan, a medication known to reverse the effects of overdose.

Sachem Superintendent James Nolan is praising the nurse’s life-saving actions. He said paramedics told him the student may not have survived without the nurse’s assistance, Xirinachs reported.

The girl and another student were hospitalized, but are said to be OK.

Nolan issued a statement on the school district’s Facebook page, notifying parents of the incident, and urging them to be aware and alert to the problems of substance abuse.

“We need to work together so that we are all educated, informed and aware,” Nolan said. “Like every other substance abuse situation, no person, no family, no school, and no community is immune to these horrors. We cannot live in denial. It is all about keeping our children safe and healthy.”


Leave a Reply