NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — In an incident caught on a disturbing video that has gone viral, a Fresh Direct delivery driver was assaulted in Brooklyn and left hospitalized with painful injuries.

The victim spoke exclusively to CBS2’s Scott Rapoport Wednesday.

READ MORE: 16-Year-Old Killed In Double Shooting On Lower East Side, Second Victim In Hospital

“He just completely lost his mind,” victim Kevin Tello said of his assailant.

From his hospital room, Tello told CBS2’s Rapoport about the most frightening moment of his life. The vicious attack happened this past Sunday right in the middle of Boerum Hill, Brooklyn.

Tello was left with three fractured vertebrae in the attack, which involved a rubber mallet.

“He comes out with a sledgehammer, and he assaults me,” Tello said.

Tello, 23, said it all started at the corner of Flatbush Avenue and Livingston Street. He said the man in the video – identified by police as Damian Bailey, 34 – slammed into his Fresh Direct truck with a Ford van.

Tello said when he got out to get license plate information, Bailey lost it and tried to speed away.

“He ran me over with his car,” Tello said. “He hit me with his car dead on while I was right in front of him taking a picture of his license plates.”

He said Bailey kept on driving, with Tello clinging to the hood of the van. Tello said it went on for three blocks.”

READ MORE: CDC Issues New COVID-19 Guidance For Holiday Season

“I was surprised that I reacted quick enough to grab onto the hood,” Tello said. “If not, I’d be under his car.”

Tello said when Bailey finally stopped, he emerged with a rubber mallet and struck him in the back with it five times.

“The pain was — it was undescribable,” Tello said.

When asked what Bailey said to him, Tello said: “Absolutely nothing. It was as if he was in another world; like he was possessed by someone else.”

For his part, Bailey was charged with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, and menacing. As of Wednesday, he was out on bail.

CBS2’s Rapoport went to what authorities said was Bailey’s address. There was no sign of him there.

Meanwhile, Tello remained in the hospital Wednesday. He said he will not be able to walk for six weeks, but considered himself fortunate.

“I’m blessed to be here; lucky to be here,” he said.

MORE NEWS: New Video Shows Woman With Red Gas Can Inside Store Before Fire At Brooklyn Yeshiva

Bailey is due back in court on Friday.