MOUNT SINAI, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Investigators made a disturbing discovery of weapons and messages of hate hidden in a Mount Sinai, Long Island home, and the question remained Thursday as to what the suspects were planning.
As CBS2’s Jennifer McLogan reported, two brothers were arrested after a police search of their Long Island home uncovered an arsenal of weapons, bomb-making instructions and Neo-Nazi materials.
“Today’s search warrant might have prevented a deadly violent incident like the one we recently saw in Orlando,” said Suffolk County police Commissioner Timothy Sini.
Behind the walls of the now-condemned home on Miller Place-Middle Island Road in Mount Sinai, Suffolk County police arrested Edward Perkowski, 29, and his younger brother, Sean. They were facing weapons charges, Sini said.
Investigators said they found directions for making bombs and a racist manifesto contained in a leather-bound binder, $42,000 in cash, and an arsenal of assault rifles including some with high-capacity magazines. All that was found amid photos of Adolf Hitler, flags with swastikas, and other hate-filled propaganda.
Marijuana and hallucinogenic mushrooms were also found, authorities said.
“These individuals pose a clear and present danger, or at least they did,” Sini said. “They have clearly subscribed to a hateful ideology, they had an illegal arsenal at their fingertips.”
But as CBS2’s Brian Conybeare reported, a friend of the brothers said that the claims about them was crazy.
“What the hell are they talking about, they’re going to plan some attack?!” said the friend, who identified himself only as Bob. “I’ve known them my whole life. They’re not going to do anything.”
Bob said Edward Perkowski runs a military surplus business, and that was why he had all the weapons.
“They’re just legitimately good people,” he said.
A third brother also denied it all and called it bogus.
Bob dismissed the notion that the brothers were Nazis.
“They are not Nazis. They are not neo-Nazis,” he said. “His brother sells merchandise; Army surplus stuff.”
But neighbors told CBS2’s McLogan they were angry and upset. They said they have been complaining for years.
“This has been an ongoing problem,” said neighbor Brian Saltzer. “I have contacted the police about the drug dealing and the violence and the weapons. They assaulted me.”
“Scares the hell out of me. I mean, that takes it to a whole new level – it’s not just drugs,” said neighbor John Leonard. “I live two houses down, so bomb-making materials, instructions, whatever it might be, that just escalated this.”
Neighbors such as Larry Bilello were relieved that the men had been arrested.
“Cops must have been called here at least 15, 20 times,” Bilello said.
Bilello said something had to be done to put an end to the noise, traffic and rowdy partying.
“We never had any problem until those people moved in,” he said.
Neighbors claimed the suspects’ house was in foreclosure, and they were squatters. There was a sign on the front door of the house saying it was condemned.
“While they can arrest these occupants, we can condemn these houses. We can cite them for code violations. We can board them up, and in extreme cases when they’re structurally unsound, we can knock them down,” said Brookhaven Town Supervisor Edward Romaine.
“The gravity of this situation cannot be overstated,” Sini added. “We hit a big score today.”
Edward Perkowski’s attorney told CBS2 his client hasn’t done anything illegal. He vowed to fight the charges quote “100 percent.”