NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — On Wednesday, a New Jersey community said they were seeking to save piece of the past, as what is believed to be the oldest white oak tree in the country shows signs of decay.
New Jersey’s giant white oak tree is believed to be more than 600 years old. Some trees, however, have lifespans that cover thousands of years. Here’s a roundup of the top five oldest trees to have lived in the United States:
- The oldest recorded living tree on record is a Great Bristlecone pine, believed to have a lifespan of over 5,000 years. Located in the White Mountains of California, this unnamed tree is considered the oldest living tree in the world.
- Methuselah, another Bristlecone pine located in Inyo County, California is second on the list, at an age of 4,847 years.
- Prometheus, a Bristlecone Pine located at Wheeler Perk in Nevada, was the third-oldest living tree before it was cut down in 1964. It is believed the great tree lived for around 4,844 years.
- Number four on the list is a Giant Sequoia named CBR26, which is located in Sierra Nevada, California. It was believed to be 3,266 years old.
- Another Giant Sequoia rounds out the list, believed to be 3,220 years old. It has since died.
The President, is believed to be the oldest Giant Sequoia that is still alive — standing tall at around 3,200 years old.