NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The FDNY evacuated five buildings in Tribeca Thursday evening, after a gas main ruptured outside a synagogue.
Around 6:10 p.m., an odor of gas was reported in the The Civic Center Synagogue, a two-story structure at 47 White St., the FDNY told CBS2.
Con Edison and FDNY companies reported to the scene, and about 50 people were evacuated from five buildings — including the synagogue — around 8:30 p.m., officials said.
Con Ed later located the gas leak in a 6-inch cast iron main on the block.
As CBS2’s Brian Conybeare reported, Con Edison crews were digging up White Street to repair the leak.
“I was opposite the synagogue and I said, ‘I can’t stay here?’ And they said, ‘No you can’t, because we’re afraid of an explosion,” evacuated resident Alice Proskauer said.
“I’d rather feel as if I were safe, than get blown up,” added Tribeca resident Andy Chapman.
As of 11:00 p.m. Thursday, firefighters had reopened the street and people were being allowed back inside their homes.