NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) –– Chief of Department James P. O’Neill is slated to become the next Commissioner of the New York City Police Department upon the resignation of current commissioner Bill Bratton.
Here are five things you should know about O’Neill:
- O’Neill is a Brooklyn native and has two sons.
- O’Neill joined the NYC Transit Police as a patrolman in 1983.
- According to the Wall Street Journal, O’Neill worked as an insurance underwriter before joining the NYPD.
- O’Neill is the 38th person to hold the position of Chief of Department in the NYPD. He was named to the position in October 2014 and most recently served as Chief of Patrol.
- O’Neill graduated from John Jay College with a Bachelor of Arts in Government and a Master of Public Administration.