DEER PARK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A Long Island family has lost the home they have owned for 35 years due to an electrical fire.

The blaze broke out at Anna Stoloff’s home on West Fourth Street in Deer Park around 5:30 p.m. Monday.

“I was coming home from work and I saw the fire in the front of the house,” Stoloff said.

The 66-year-old said her 16-year-old granddaughter and her husband were able to escape the home safely when faulty wiring inside the walls caught on fire.

“They got out and the fire just took off,” Stoloff said.

The family’s two dogs were also able to make it out safely.

Now, Stoloff said there is nothing left.

“My whole life is in the air, but what are you going to do? At least everybody’s OK and we can start again,” Stoloff said.

She was able to salvage a few items, including some family photographs, but it’s the memories she’ll miss most.

“The things that you can’t save are the things that you really want,” Stoloff said. “Material things can be replaced, it’s just all the memories.”

“We’ll just have to make new memories, that’s all,” she said.

The Stoloffs bought the house in 1981.

A total of seven people lived in the house. Stoloff, her husband, their daughter, three grandchildren, and her daughter’s boyfriend.


Leave a Reply