SPARTA, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A New Jersey home was completely destroyed in a fire that engulfed the residence Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at the home on Maple Parkway in Sparta at around 3:25 p.m.

READ MORE: COVID Restrictions: New York City Restaurants Can Increase Capacity, New Jersey Raises Gathering Limits

Sparta police say the owner of the home did not initially realize the residence was on fire.

Sparta police told NJ.com that Cpl. Frank Schomp rushed let the homeowner know that his house was partially engulfed in flames. Sgt. Dennis Proctor says Schomp knocked on the man’s door to tell him, but the man didn’t believe him.

Schomp was able to get the man to leave the residence. He was taken to Newtown Medical Center for evaluation.

READ MORE: MTA, Union Leaders Call For More NYPD Officers To Patrol Subways After Off-Duty Conductor Nearly Blinded By Attacker

Proctor said the Sparta Fire Department, the Andover Fire Department, the Byram Fire Department and the Ogdensburg Fire Department helped extinguish the fire.

Authorities say two dogs may have died in the blaze.

No other injuries were reported.

Proctor says the fire appears to have been accidentally caused by discarded embers from a wood burning stove.

MORE NEWS: New Jersey Native Jovan Collazo Accused Of Hijacking School Bus At Gunpoint, Holding Elementary School Students Hostage In South Carolina

(TM and © Copyright 2017 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)