ELMWOOD PARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A woman suffered burns to her face and hand when a home exploded in Elmwood Park, New Jersey on Thursday night, officials say.

Emergency crews were called to 190 Martha Avenue shortly before 7:15 p.m.

A bay window ended up laying on the front lawn, the garage door was damaged and the front door blown open, CBS2’s Brian Conybeare reported. Neighbors said they heard a loud boom and saw a woman run outside, covered in flames.

Police said the explosion appears to have been caused by a stove that was leaking natural gas.

“She said that she went downstairs, opened the door because she smelled gas, and the minute she opened the door it just exploded,” neighbor Edwin Soba told Conybeare.

Soba lives across the street. He used a garden hose to douse the flames on the female victim.

“She was pretty much burned on her face and her neck area, and her hands. Her right hand was pretty much burned bad,” he said.

The victim was taken to St. Joseph’s hospital with what were described as second-degree burns.

Three other people inside the home, including a woman who was seen wrapped in a blanket, were not hurt.

“The home has no damage except for what you see outside. The front window is blown out, damage to the front door, the garage door and the utility room downstairs — the door was blown off the hinges,” Elmwood Park Fire Chief Bill Shadwell said.

At least eight nearby houses were evacuated as a precaution while PSE&G crews shut off the gas service.

Adriana Chernysh was stuck outside with three young children.

“It’s very scary because you never know when it’s going to happen. It could happen to anybody anywhere,” she said.

Residents were allowed back inside around 8:30 p.m, relieved everybody made it out alive.

“It could have been a lot worse considering the situation,” Soba said.

PSE&G crews remain on the scene, making sure there is no further danger.


Leave a Reply