NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A woman has recanted her story after telling police a stranger sprayed her in the face with a caustic substance, causing severe burns.

In an exclusive interview with CBS2’s Erin Logan, 52-year-old Lizzie Dunn claimed she was attacked around 11:40 a.m. Monday at Carlton Boulevard and Woodrow Road in the Annadale section of Staten Island.

On Tuesday evening, police sources told CBS2 Dunn recanted her story, admitting to police that she harmed herself.

Dunn had previously claimed she was walking alone to a bus stop when she was approached by another woman who asked her for cigarettes and money.

“She had a nice tone to her voice and her tone started to change when I didn’t I have the second thing she requested,” she told Logan from her hospital bed. “And she seemed angry when she talked to me the next time she said, ‘Do you at least have the time?’ I just kept walking, I didn’t respond and I think that triggered something in her.”

When Dunn refused, she said the suspect grabbed her shoulders and sprayed her in the face with what sources said was some type of sulfuric acid.

“It seemed like she was spraying a lot of times, like she had to keep pressing nozzle,” she said. “With my right hand I tried to grab the can and knock it out of her hand and with the left hand I was trying to shield whatever spray she was misting on me.”

Dunn staggered into Rocco’s Deli, where employee Andrew Kenwood called 911.

“It was really, really nasty. I felt bad,” Kenwood said. “She couldn’t breathe, I thought she was having a heart attack.”

Dunn told Logan she felt helpless. She couldn’t scream because she was afraid to get anything in her mouth.

“My neck is stinging and I feel like the skin is melting. I can’t feel my lip,” she said. “I’d rather die than to feel that pain again ever.”

She suffered second-degree burns on the left side of her face and scalp. Police have not determined if she’ll face charges of filing a false police report.

Comments (21)
  1. so what DID happen? The story tells nothing!

2. This is my mother and none of yall INCLUDING THE PEOPLE THAT REPORTED THIS has any idea what yall talking about. My mom needs prayers, that’s it. My mother is mixed. All of us are mixed in our family. My kids are Haitian and African, white and Spanish, French and Irish. Of course, the news only wants to cash in on my mom’s story which she NEVER allowed you to record her in the first place.

1. Josh Bjerke says:

Your mom needs a lot more than prayers.

3. Roger Bacon says:

So the story is that she created a false report and that she actually harmed herself. So why does 90% of the story detail her FALSE attack?

4. Simon Jones says:

Jail her lying ass and bill her for public services.

5. I’m astonished the article mentioned the race since it wasn’t a middle-aged, conservative cracker that committed the crime.

6. Now you must pay an Exit Tax when you sell your house and get out of that SEWER!! Time for a class action lawsuit against the Vampire State!

7. Tommy Lewis says:

The suspect is a Negro? Who would have thought? Pathetic.

8. I guess if somebody ask for money or anything else while out walking around you need to be safe and just start curb stomping them.

9. I knew it was one of Kaepernick’s people before I got to the bottom….It was a racist attack..but not surprising at all, the MSM won’t call it that. When one of Kaepernick’s people approaches you mr/ms white person…get out of there. Nothing good can come from it. Never has.

10. Gene Rupp says:

Find her and eliminate her like the animal she is. There is no use in society for people like that.

11. Where’s Paul Kersey when you need him?

12. Acid attacks are very common in the Muslim world, facts are facts.

13. I would think about moving to any place but New York City.

1. Baltimore? Chicago? San Diego?

2. Detroit? East St. Louis?

14. still think we are all equal?

1. Rob Lynn says:

Nope. Never did, never will.

15. bonstertm says:

Always carry a can of mace people. This is so terribly wrong.

1. Tommy Lewis says:

No… carry a .45. that stops the attack in its tracks. Wake up New Yorkers’. You are being led down the garden path of liberalism with the anti gun attacks by democrats. Pathetic.