NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is catching some heat over a kiss he shared with his son.

The moment was shown as part of a Facebook docu-series, and now some are questioning this type of affection between parents and their kids.

In the documentary, called “Tom vs. Time,” there is a scene showing the five-time Super Bowl winner getting a massage, CBS2’s Elise Finch reported. Afterward, his 11-year-old son comes into the room and asks him if he can check his fantasy football standings.

When Tom Brady Replaced Drew Bledsoe

“Oh, hello. I was wondering if I could check my fantasy team,” son Jack Brady says.

“What do I get?” his father replies. Jack leans over and kisses his father and is about to leave the room, while the massage therapist working on Tom Brady’s shoulder says, “You know Jack, everything comes with a cost, bud.”

“That was like a peck,” Tom Brady says.

Jack returns, leans over again and kisses his father on the mouth a second time. And the second kiss shared by father and son prompted tweets from viewers using words like “very disturbing” and “uncomfortably long.”

CBS2 asked New Yorkers what they thought.

“I’m a little uncomfortable with that,” one passerby said.

“I think at a certain age it’s like OK you can kiss them on the cheek; you can give ‘em a hug,” said Emily Hernandez, a mother of two from Harlem. “But not in the mouth and not for that long.”

“Too long, like romantic long,” said Parrish Watson of Parkchester.

“I kiss my son on his lips. I have since day one,” said Kurt Czaplinski of Hempstead. “I would have no problem with my son kissing me like that.”

Lifestyle and parenting expert Lyss Stern says she does not see anything wrong.

“If you kiss your kids too much, it’s the wrong thing. If you kiss your kids too little, it’s the wrong thing. If you hug too much — people need to back off and stop parent shaming,” said Stern, chief executive officer of DivaMoms.com.

Of the people who spoke to CBS2, no one questioned Brady’s intentions toward his child. But they did seem to question the message he’s sending with his actions.

“I don’t think affection should ever be tied in with a favor,” said social worker and parenting expert Carolyn Meyer-Wartels.

Meyer-Wartels is a licensed clinical social worker and parenting expert. She said when it comes to physical touch, the message we send our children should be clear.

“You don’t do anything with your body because someone else is insisting that you do it in order for you to get what you want,” she said.

She said that applies even if that person is mom or dad.

Experts say people are getting a glimpse of one moment in a lifetime between father and son, perhaps out of context, so judgment isn’t warranted.

Brady has not commented on the issue.

Comments (145)
  1. Rodger Peden says:

A fathers love is rare these days…..thank you sir for showing love to your son…my father always kissed me…..until the day he died.

2. Why are Americans so ethnocentric? Sons kissing fathers is not a problem in many countries. Who made us the arbiter of what’s normal?

3. My boys did this for years until high school then it wasn’t kool anymore to kiss your dad not its just hugs only. People need to get a life shows he is well loved. Many kids should be so lucky. I see the opposite in most families today no affection no show of love at all.

4. Don McCoy says:

Meh…who cares? Most of the fathers on the NFL don’t even know if they have kids. Or how many. Or with whom…

5. I don’t care for mouth kissing between parent and child, but good grief, don’t you peop0le have more important matters to complain about.

6. Vox Veritas says:

Kiss? Looks more like mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

7. This is awkward but giving three-year-old’s puberty blockers is heroic. Welcome to current year USA

8. Jack Webb says:

Yeah, it was a bit too long there, Tom. Boys shouldn’t even kiss their Moms that long. He’s going to be razzed about that video in Middle School, you can count on it.

1. Larry Smith says:

Yeah sure …his dad is Tom Brady

9. Yeah, big deal– some families kiss. Why do you report what a bunch of fools, kids, and basement dwellers on Twitter say about anything as if that’s meaningful. Journalism is completely dead. Now all we have is regurgitated content passed from one website to another.

10. carac100 says:

I find it creepy and uncomfortable. Tom said, “What do I get?” which his son understood to mean a kiss on the lips. For letting him check his fantasy team?! His son chose to give him a quick kiss, but it wasn’t good enough. Tom demanded a longer one. The son then came back and gave him a longer kiss on the lips, to the point where his son was wiping his lips on his shirt when he was done. This wasn’t a natural display of affection, but coerced and reluctant kiss by a son who would rather have just gotten a “Sure, son, go check your team.”

11. bdnsc says:

More proof that liberals are miserable people intent on making eveyone else as miserable as they are.

12. When the hell are these “stars” going to learn not to video your private life. Brady had to ok this video. There is always, and I mean ALWAYS, somebody that is going to try and skewer you over anything.

13. Americans need to chillout….I think it’s beautiful he kisses his son, I do the same thing with my son and daughter…Critics can’t say I love you, let alone a kiss for their children.
    More love is needed in this country!
    Cheers…

14. Tom Jason says:

yeah… it didn’t look like a lip lock but a kiss between his upper lip and nose … could have been just awkward to lean to the side since he was in the middle of a massage … so my vote is it’s all good .. once they are up and about i would do the heart to heart hug and a kiss on the neck just to keep the naysayers at bay.

15. yeah…let’s all follow along the Pied Piper progressive media in paying attention to awkward parental affection and not all the times the establishment they take orders from tries to mission-creep actual pedophilia into normalcy and all the attempts to propagandize the dissolution of the family unit

16. Listen. I hate the Patriots. But if this does anything for me it just makes me actually like Brady quite a bit. Not only is he affectionate with his kids, but his multimillionaire kids know that they shouldn’t be on the internet without asking first. This is grade A parenting. And somehow those kids are going to not be pretentious jerks, which most 1% kids are.

17. RJ Lowe says:

I am not a Brady Fan…BUT..The affection between Tom and his son is nobodies business.These cereal box therapists need to get a job at Walmart and Clean up their own backyards!!!

1. Wally Lind says:

How about minding your own business, you totalitarian slugs?

18. Jenny Hope says:

Liberals are now the ultra conservative Puritans.

1. Why does everything have to be a political comparison ? Ignorant fool.

19. Ken Badoian says:

Yea a non-wife or girlfriend white guy who is married to a wife and has a loving relationship with his son. Only a person with a perv mind could see anything wrong with the kiss.

20. Joe Boltonn says:

Brady is handsome, a football star, super rich and married to a supermodel. If you want to hate him for those reasons, go ahead. Don’t pretend it’s for nonsense like kissing his kid…

21. People need to get a life. I wonder how many of the people who “have a problem with it” think using corporal punishment is ok.

22. Steve Hansen says:

There are numerous rapists and woman beaters in the NFL and the media is attacking Brady for kissing his son. What a crock!

23. OMG leave the guy and his family alone. There was nothing wrong with that kiss. Anyone who has a problem with it needs to pull their head out of their @zz..

24. his wife is Brazilian, this is common in south america.. too much for northern sensibilities i guess.

25. Kelly Laraia says:

I guess they would prefer the boy live in a fatherless home. Let the government act as a father figure. No need for a real dad.

26. Jim Strouse says:

these are the same libs that are ok with transfluid, lgbtqwtf ??? WTF!!

1. Cee Ess Pea says:

WINNER!!
      Well said. And true.

/thread

27. Steve Oifer says:

If you watch the boy after the second kiss he wipes his mouth. This tells you that he doesn’t enjoy the act and that Brady needs to ask for a hug instead of insisting on a kiss on the mouth for that duration. Not saying that Brady is perverse, just that he may be unaware that his son is not comfortable with that form of affection.

28. what has the world come to, you can not kiss your son with out the left morons making a big deal about it, we took shower with our dad when we where kids was no big deal. but into today’s world
    would be a crime. leave the guy along
    Pats 38 Philly 21
    TRUMP 2020

29. Tomas Cruz says:

It looks like his son kisses him.

30. Tom Siebert says:

Somebody called “DivaMom” is an “expert”? I would run very far and very fast from anybody with than monicker.
    The Brady thing is mildly creepy. Focus on the kid rapists in Hollywood and D.C., please.

31. Jenna Lucas says:

CBS is in its last days.

32. David Moore says:

Yo, media! Was there any tongue involved? If not… fuhgitaboutit already!!! Mind your own bid’ness!

33. New York? Where the demented come to mingle. What would they know about a good father and son relationship?

34. illinoisatlarge says:

Eastern Europeans, Southern Europeans, Latin Americans and many other cultures all kiss their family members without reservation or any suggestion of sexuality. Only in this country are there people depraved enough to find this significant.

35. How sick our society has become that affection between Father and son has been made perverse.

36. John Woodhar says:

Tell the libs to shove it.

37. My wife comes from a family of huggers. Me not so much (although after years of marriage I have been converted;~). Everyone has their own comfort level with displays of affection. if you’re a hugger, non-hugger or anywhere in between it’s fine. This kiss falls into the same category in my view.

38. You always have someone who thinks that they know how you should live your life better than you do.

39. Mark Johnson says:

Only in America, where everything from beasts-feeding to loving your child openly is deemed sexual! Sign of a sick people!

40. This story is one more brick in the wall being built to showcase the lame absurdity of today’s media.

41. People – get a life – I’m French – we kiss anything moving!

1. Thank you for making me laugh. 😛

42. Elisi Newell says:

Funny how thing have gotten so unreal. All my life my parents kissed us on the lips and we never thought anything of it. As we grew up we still did it, someone saw me kiss my brother on the lips and said why would you do that? Simple, we live all over the place and we never know when we will see each other again. I wish my mom and dad were still here for me to go give a big hug and kiss too. Leave the kids alone and get your heads out of the gutter. That is what is wrong with this country.

43. Leo Rodolfo says:

We’re Irish. We don’t kiss, hug, shake hands, hold hands, snuggle, express love, talk, acknowledge each others’ existence, etc. lol

44. I can’t believe this is even a story.

45. I didn’t see any tongue action, so what’s the uproar about? Someone’s preconceived notion of what’s appropriate based on their puritanical upbringing. Seriously, what reference book do many of these twits use? I find it amazing that his son didn’t have any qualms about showing affection on camera. Maybe this story will have him suggest to his dad that they just shake hands in the future.

46. sinatra33 says:

Seriously.. Meanwhile real pedophiles are running rampant in Hollyweird and everyone turns a blind eye… GTFO, this is just a dad being a dad.

47. Tommy A says:

I would say after 2 or 3 years old parents should stop kissing their kids on the mouth.

48. Punish the innocent, reward the guilty.
    It’s the “Liberal” way.

49. James Loanes says:

Are you kidding me, I think if more parents were as loving as Tom appears to be the world would be a better place.

1. Come here James and I’ll give you a kiss ! 🙂