NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Police believe a woman was killed and her boyfriend wounded after her ex opened fire before killing himself in Queens Friday.

The shooting took place just before 7 a.m. in an apartment near 77th Street and 19th Road in the Ditmars section.

Police said they first got a call from a neighbor at 6:52 a.m. to report the sound of shots being fired, police said.

Just two minutes later, police believe the 31-year-old female victim called 911, saying “I’ve been shot by my boyfriend.”

Officers rushed to the scene and found the door to the woman’s apartment locked. As responding officers were at the door, they heard about 10 shots ring out, officials said.

Those officers then called for NYPD’s Emergency Services Unit.

“Upon entry of Emergency Service, what we found in that apartment is what we believe to be the 911 caller, deceased,” said NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea. The woman, an active member of the Air Force, had been shot in the head.

Police also found a wounded man, 43, who was taken to Elmhurst Hospital. The man – an off-duty Yonkers Police officer – had been shot in the shoulder and had additional injuries on his back, which may have been stab wounds. Police said they think he may be the dead woman’s current boyfriend. He’s expected to survive.

They also found another man, 47, dead with a gunshot wound to his head.

“What we do believe, standing here, is that three individuals, you have two of them romantically involved, one possibly an ex-boyfriend, one a current boyfriend,” said Shea. Asked if they believe the ex-boyfriend shot the two, Shea said “there’s a lot of work to do… but that certainly is a theory that we will explore.”

“The involved Yonkers police officer is presently receiving medical attention at a local area hospital, and has over four years of service with the Department. The Yonkers Police Department offers its sincere condolences to the families of the victims and their colleagues,” Yonkers Police said in a statement.

Neighbors were shocked by the shooting.

“I looked out the window and the whole block was closed… I knew something horrible happened,” one area resident told CBS2’s Crystal Bui.

Police said they’d been called to the location earlier this week after a car had been keyed, and said it involved the three individuals.

Their names have not been released.


Leave a Reply