NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – When you think of turpentine, you probably think of a common paint thinner found in hardware stores.

CBS2’s Mary Calvi reports that, in its pure form, pure gum spirit of turpentine was once used as a form of medicine centuries ago. Today, it’s back as a controversial new wellness treatment.

Azmyth Kaminski is a healing consultant who takes it as an internal cleanse.

Pure gum spirit of turpentine is a controversial alternative treatment for stomach or intestinal issues like parasites or yeast infections.

The therapy is unusual and considered by many experts to be questionable, but there are believers who ingest it by saturating and chewing on sugar cubes. Actress Tiffany Haddish touted turpentine’s benefits in a recent article, saying “everything felt so much better, clarity wise.”

Kaminski documented his own turpentine experience on YouTube.

“It turned out really well for me… I went for 44 days on this turpentine cleanse,” he claimed.

Pure gum spirit is the sap distilled from the resin of pine trees. It was used as a remedy hundreds of years ago when people had only natural elements for cures. Doctors today say it can be dangerous.

“The adverse effects and or fatalities are clearly going to outweigh any potential benefit,” registered dietitian Nicolette Pace warned.

“At the one teaspoon dosage there are some serious reported adverse effects. It’s kidney-toxic… as little as three teaspoons are fatal.”

Dr. Fred Pescatore says he uses it on patients infrequently, but adds there are healing properties in turpentine for internal use and skin conditions like eczema.

“It’s extraordinarily harsh and it has to be very, very, very diluted or you’re going to burn your skin basically because the resin of the tree is that strong,” Dr. Pescatore explains.

The doctor stresses it always must be used with caution.

“Your body has to get used to it and I think that’s where most people are not going to take the time to allow their bodies to gradually go drop, by drop, by drop.”

Pure gum spirits of turpentine is available online, but it is imperative that you do your research and absolutely contact your doctor before using it as any sort of medical treatment.

Comments (27)
  1. John Shore says:

Dr Jennifer Daniels is on oneradionetwork.com monthly and others are sharing this older knowledge again. Just use clean 100% pure gum turpentine. Sun Fruit Dan on YouTube has some good information on this. I have used it numerous times and had good effect.

2. THE TRUTH IS….Don’t listen to the ignorant comments from people who know nothing about their very Real Remedy that has worked for millions of people for centuries and NEVER killed anyone!
    As someone who actually does this treatment occasionally, and I have done a lot of research on using it, I can’t testify to it’s TRUE effectiveness.
    First, it is NOT the turpentine that is use as paint thinner, that is distilled from petroleum, and will kill you. Secondly, it has many uses for your health, and specifically used for killing worms and parasites and candida ((yeast inside your body) that can become toxic. Third, it is an ancient remedy, that used properly can cure many ailments and diseases that modern prescription drugs can not cure, but the Big Pharmaceutical company’s want you to buy their Expensive pills, while the 8ounce 100% pure gum spirit turpentine (used with “Organic” Castro oil and sugar) cost you about $24 for about 40 treatments.
    I have done this many times, as well as many of my friends over the years, and no one ever got sick, or any bad effects, but we had amazing results. Most notably, is the killing of parasites and worms of all types. I won’t go in to the gross details of what comes out of your body!
    While pharmaceutical pills only cure small targeted amounts of things and cost a lot, thie and can not enter most organs or the blood stream, but need many cases,turpentine cures many things at once and kills worms and parasites and candida that is in your blood stream and many organs, including the liver and brain.
    I suggest you look up “turpentine & parasites” on YouTube, and start your own research, but there are many online articles that discourage or defame its use, or like many of the comments I read from this article, is from people who know nothing about it, or have ever used it, but give their option based on the though of drinking paint thinner (which this is NOT).

3. JoAnn Hill Shaw says:

My grandmother used to make us drink a concoction “to clean out our system” when I was growing up in the 70’s. 1 glass of Orange juice, 1 tsp Medicinal Turpentine, 1tsp of Castor Oil and just before she made us drink it she added 1 tsp of baking soda and stirred. The baking soda made it fizz and it was the nastiest tasting stuff that you gagged while taking but BOY OH BOY it clean the system out!! To this day, I can’t even take Alka-Seltzer because of the fizz. Some of Grandma’s home remedies were great but NOT this one.

4. Billy Ahlstrom says:

This is very bad disinformation. Shame on whoever put this crap out. Turpentine is a natural remedy made from pine sap. Shame on you, you know what you did!,,

5. THE TRUTH over ignorant comments from people who know nothing about it!
    As someone who actually doesn’t this occasionally and has done a lot of research on using it, I can’t testify to it’s TRUE effectiveness.

6. Cassandra Thomson says:

People in Russia still use it.

7. Kourt Clarke says:

Darwin Awards now in liquid form.

8. Keith Panco says:

Hopefully this medical fad will spread amongst democrats.

1. James Sutton says:

I think we should encourage the ingestion of turpentine. It would be an efficient way to clean up the gene pool. We should also offer methyl alcohol. Maybe we could run a two-for one deal. We could even offer discounts to Democrats.

1. Henry Bowman says:

Take the Turpentine Challenge!

Seriously, this news item put me in mind of a joke I heard 40+ years ago.

Two NH Yankees with abutting farms mostly kept to themselves, but would often encounter each other once a year during fence-mending season. One year, Otis spoke up to ask Abe, “What’d you give your mare that time she had the colic?” Abe replied, “Turpentine.” They finished work and parted.

The next year, they met again. Otis complained, “I gave my mare turpentine for her colic, and she died.” Abe replied, “So’d mine.”

2. Flynn Ketchum says:

Who Else would use it But democrats..

9. Frances O'Connor says:

Five years ago my Parisian medical doctor prescribed some sort of turpentine for a tooth infection. I had to buy it at the pharmacy with a prescription. I didn’t swallow it, just rinsed that area several times a day. It was ghastly tasting but it did work.

10. Stu Kazzo says:

If we can rid ourselves of millennial Socialist Democrats by promoting this new craze, I’m all for it.

11. Lincoln, Lincoln
    I been thinkin’
    What the hell have you been drinkin’?
    Is it water?
    Is it wine?
    Oh my God it’s turpentine!

12. Vernon Messer says:

Some young person “discovers” turpentine, BOOM! it’s the next craze. Turpentine has been around many years. Read the label and you will be ok. Do otherwise, hard heads, and you take you life into your own hands.

13. Michael Mayher says:

I don’t know about this. However, anyone who has learned survival skills knows pine needle tea (look it up) has 5 times more vitamin C than a fresh orange and is high in vitamin A. But pine needles are quite different from straight or diluted turpentine.

14. Alberto Perez says:

I have no idea if turpentine is an effective treatment for anything. I do know that I wouldn’t trust the advice of doctors anymore than most other people. At one point, doctors used to tell women suffering from anxiety or the common cold to take up smoking. The conventional medical establishment used to support the idea of eugenics. Even today, modern dentistry promotes fluoridating public water to fight tooth decay, essentially forcing a medical treatment on everyone without their knowledge or consent. Turpentine? I don’t know. But I certainly wouldn’t ask a doctor what he (or she) thinks about it.

15. Laurie Sturtevant says:

An Uncle I never met drank turpentine as a child and spent his life and later died in a state hospital. Crazy people.

16. Lynn Wood says:

You are writing to an audience that will smoke artificial weed sold in a sealed packet composed of who knows what made by who knows whom and who knows where.

You know, even real witch doctors and real shamans have to possess a level of competence and expertise, let alone herbalists.

17. Don McCoy says:

LOL! Fools. Mercury was “medicinal” once, too…gonna start drinking THAT!? Sounds like something “Jade Eggs” Paltrow would advocate for!

18. Tony Smith says:

Don’t all conifer-eating mammals gorge themselves on this stuff? Sure, their physiology is slightly different from ours, but still, I don’t see how consuming turpentine is so weird if they do it.

19. Jack Crapse says:

I am 77, This was a common treatment when I was young and used for many things. For worms, coughs, colds take ~ 2-3 drops of turpentine in a teaspoon of sugar. To relieve soreness from a cut, bruise or wound simply rub it lightly with Turpentine. To relieve soreness from arthritis, sports, sports strains and hard work soak in a bath of hot water with 4 oz of turpentine.

20. Andrew Moore says:

All those going for the annual Darwin award should try it.

21. Future Darwin award winners. Keep it coming.

22. Brian Sparks says:

Hilarious! When I was a child, my parents response to getting a large cut was to soak it in turpentine. Never said anything about drinking the stuff though.

23. Brunhilde Machen says:

Turpentine + soap was used by pioneers to shampoo lice out of hair!

24. john L says:

Turpentine and Tide pods. Better together!