NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — An NYPD officer remains hospitalized with a gunshot wound following a police-involved shooting that left a suspect dead on Staten Island.

Police said they responded to a report of a domestic dispute with an alleged intoxicated person shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday at an apartment on Bridge Court in the Shore Acres neighborhood.

When two officers arrived on the scene, the suspect was allegedly holding a 14-inch knife.

Police said the officers repeatedly asked the man to drop the weapon, but he made a move toward them.

(Credit: NYPD)

(Credit: NYPD)

The encounter was captured on police body cameras, authorities said.

“You can see the male attempting to get past who we believe is his wife and coming at the officers. You hear multiple times, ‘shoot me, shoot me, shoot me,’ during this encounter,” NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea said early Monday morning. “A Taser was deployed by at least one of the officers. We believe it struck the individual, but unfortunately did not cause him to cease his attack.”

Police said the officers were forced to shoot at the suspect, firing at least 10 shots. Investigators said multiple shots hit the suspect, who was taken to Richmond University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The wounded officer was taken to Staten Island University Hospital in serious but stable condition. He is expected to make a full recovery, CBS2’s Jenna DeAngelis reported.

“Tonight, we are reminded once again of the dangers our officers face every day as they worked to keep New York City safe,” said NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill.

Mayor Bill de Blasio visited the officer at the hospital Monday morning.

SEE IT: Mayor Leaves Hospital After Visiting Officer Shot On Staten Island 

Neighbors told DeAngelis they heard several gunshots late Sunday night.

“I’ve never seen cops here, so it was all a little suspect,” said Vincent Spinelli. “Next thing I knew, I heard fighting, brawl, shuffling against the fence. And a couple seconds later, six shots, five shots went off.”

“All of a sudden, it was like one shot – bah – then five after – bah, bah, bah. We could smell even the gun, you know the fire of the gun,” a woman added.

Virginia Sturge and her family live in the upstairs apartment.

“I was shaking last night. I’m still shaking. I still can’t believe this,” she said, adding the suspect lived with his wife, her landlord.

“Last night, he was drunk and he’s scaring me with what he’s doing,” said tenant Margie Lapiz. “The cops were so nice. I heard the cops trying to calm him down, but I heard him shouting.”

Neighbors said it was a night unlike any they’ve experienced there before.

“Everyone was scared,” Marwa Elsharkawi said.

“We don’t want to hear this again. Hopefully it never happens again,” another woman added.

The names of those involved have not yet been released, and the shooting remains under investigation.