NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – New Jersey officials are scrambling to contain another possible outbreak of the measles after an airline passenger with the illness traveled through a local airport on Christmas Eve.

According to the state’s Department of Health, the passenger arrived in Terminal B at Newark Liberty International Airport on a flight from Brussels on Monday.

Officials believe the flyer may have also visited other areas of the airport and anyone who was at Newark Liberty from noon to 4 p.m. may have been exposed to the contagious disease.

It could take until Jan. 14 for someone who was infected by the passenger to develop symptoms of the measles.

“Measles symptoms include rash, high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes. It can cause serious complications such as pneumonia and encephalitis (swelling of the brain),” a statement from New Jersey’s Department of Health explained.

This is the second incident involving the measles in the state this year. An ongoing outbreak in Ocean County has reportedly infected 33 people, according New Jersey Health Commissioner Dr. Shereef Elnahal.

MORE: More Measles Cases Confirmed In NJ

Authorities are urging anyone who believes they may have been exposed to the measles to call their doctor before going to see them or visiting an emergency room.

Unvaccinated individuals are the most at risk for infection.

“Anyone who has not been vaccinated or has not had measles is at risk if they are exposed,” state epidemiologist Dr. Christina Tan said.

“We urge everyone to check to make sure they and their family members are up-to-date on measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine and all other age-appropriate immunizations.”

Comments (14)
  1. Doug Day says:

The Third-Worlding of America proceeds apace…and the Democrats are loving every minute of it.

2. Olivia Flowers says:

I remember having the measles in the first grade. It affected so many children in the class at one time the teacher was putting children to bed on tables.We waited there for our parents to come for us. Once I was put in a darkened bedroom as the light hurt my eyes. I had a high fever. I was miserable. I wouldn’t want my child to go through this. I wouldn’t want to go through this as an adult. This was the large red measles. People also forget that German measles can cause birth defects in unborn child in mother contracts while pregnant.

3. David Lethe says:

When I was a kid our parents had measles parties to make sure we were all infected. I’m so glad I attended one of them.

4. tomkay1012 says:

Measles today, what tomorrow? And BTW when a story does not fit the fake news narrative, it’s brief, lacks detail, and seemingly unimportant. On the other hand, if it fits the narrative, it goes on forever, repeating the same propaganda to no end.

1. Christopher Perrien says:

Ebola. Only a (hidden) agenda explains US entrance controls or lack thereof.

5. noseitall says:

So why is the origin country of the person with measles being kept secret? I think we know…

1. Valerie Hayden Wilkerson says:

The article clearly states the person came on a flight from Brussels.

1. Gary Griffin says:

And I flew in from Fiji…..what is my country of origin?

6. Won’t be long before the slags in every major city are dropping out with some flu-like ebola disease.
    The sooner….the better.

7. But the vaccine….if it is so effective and wonderful then what is the problem? I don’t get the fear.

1. Bettina Fuller says:

My thoughts exactly. If the vaccine works, and you have been vaccinated, no problem. If you have not been vaccinated, then you have accepted the risks. If you are immune suppressed, you should be avoiding airports.

Only panic if the vaccine is not effective…….

8. Orange Mango says:

Not with a bang…. But with a whimper .
    It is only a matter of time until we see a major pandemic . Breathing mostly recycled air for 12 + hours , close quarters , accidentally or intentionally …..

1. country of origin for the flight can mean something different from country of origin of the person….fyi

pandemics? operant programming.

vaccines? maybe not so effective. or as safe as we have been programmed….er, told.

9. No big deal, the measles is a big nothing burger. All hype designed to sell vaccines.