FAIR LAWN, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A 13-year-old girl has been accused of giving edible marijuana gummy bears to some classmates at her school, causing another girl to be hospitalized.

The investigation began last week after a 14-year-old Fair Lawn girl became ill after school and police were called. The girl was taken to a hospital and told Fair Lawn police a classmate had given her a gummy bear that supposedly would “stop her from stressing out.”

The item was determined to be a marijuana edible. Authorities soon learned the edibles were also given to other students during school hours.

The 13-year-old is now facing charges. But her name and further details on the charges have not been disclosed.

Authorities have not released the name of the school.

In 2017, a boy in Rockland County, New York, suffered a health scare after eating sour gummy candy infused with medical cannabis, according to police. After eating some of the sour gummies, the boy suffered from the effects of THC and was taken to the hospital.

For information responding to young children who have been poisoned by swallowing marijuana, see the National Capital Poison Center website.

Comments
  1. Pal Roth says:

    It is not poison, everyone is making a big deal over this. I would be more concerned about other prescription drugs being handed out at schools, be grateful it was just marijuana and not something that might have been prescribed before medical marijuana. I would be more concerned about gun control in schools. I am glad the girl was charged as she should be. You should never share medication regardless and I am glad someone has been held responsible.

Leave a Reply