NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A Bronx high-rise fire left residents without power on another oppressively hot night in the city.

Residents tried to stay cool at the Jackson Houses in Melrose after a transformer fire in a basement knocked out power.

The fire started about around 4 p.m. and heavy smoke and flames could be seen pouring out of the building’s lower level.

Con Edison said the transformer is actually owned by NYCHA and is supposed to power the seven Bronx buildings.

NYCHA crews assessed the damage, but said any questions about the fire should go to the FDNY.

MORE: NYCHA Residents Living Without Gas In Homes Since Last Thanksgiving

“This is summer time, it’s really hot up there, those apartments get so, so hot, I was out of breath,” Janette Aguayo said.

Residents told CBS2’s Valerie Castro many of the older tenants rely on the elevators to leave the building. They also said it’s not the first time the Jackson Houses have been left in the dark.

NYCHA said cooling centers are open for residents and staff will be at the complex to provide assistance. The Red Cross is also there providing services for residents.

Comments

Leave a Reply