STAMFORD, Conn. (CBSNewYork) – A deadly crash took the lives of two teenagers in Stamford early Monday.

Four others were also in the car when it hit two utility poles.

READ MORE: Times Square Shooting: Intense Manhunt Continues; Sources Say Shooter Known To Police For Illegal Vending In Area

Police said two male teens were killed when a 2008 sedan carrying three boys and three girls, ages 18 and 19 – crashed shortly after 2:30 a.m. Monday near the intersection of Ludlow and Canal streets.

Young lives that won’t live out their potential ended in the violent crash in Stamford’s south end. One of the deceased is 18-year-old Nishawn Tolliver. His brother is a friend of a young man who spoke with CBS2’s Tony Aiello.

“He can’t believe it. His brother, only 18. Yesterday he was hugging his brother, having dinner with his brother. Waking up to this is crazy,” said Rene Santiago.

Police say six teens were jammed  into the car traveling at a high rate of speed when it crashed into one utility pole and then another.

Jerry Diaz, 18, was at the wheel and was critically injured, Aiello reported.

Shattered glass, twisted wires and smashed wood speak to the violence of the final impact.

Police say three teens crawled out of the wreckage but rescue of the other three was delayed by concern over live power lines endangering first responders.

“It’s sad. Just all I can think is that I feel bad for the families that are involved in this. It’s two young lives that are taken tragically, that really have no reason to be dead,” Stamford Police Sgt. Jeff Booth said.

A friend of one of the teens who died told Aiello the group was hanging at a nearby basketball court Sunday evening. Police are trying to piece together their later movements to better understand their final moments.

The second fatality is identified as 19-year-old Kymoni Pollock.

Family members and friends of the teenagers came to the scene. Tears flowed and words failed.

“Wake up. That’s what goes through my heart. Wake up. It ain’t fun and games,” Ruth Cowart said.

The impact woke neighbors and knocked out power to multiple buildings.

Police know speed was a factor. They’re investigating to determine if drugs, alcohol or mechanical failure played a role.

Investigators are hoping to speak with the survivors to better understand what happened.

“It helps us in our investigation to find out where they were, where they were going, anything helps,” said Booth.

The power company Eversource continues to work to restore service to one building that went dark when the crash too down power lines.

MORE NEWS: Cyberattack Prompts Major Pipeline Operator To Halt Operations; What Will It Potentially Mean For Gas Prices?