NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — With the start of school just six days away, the New York City officials say public school buildings are ready to welcome students and staff back safely.NYC Teacher, Principal Unions Warn Of School Staffing Shortages When Vaccine Mandate Takes Effect; De Blasio Says Substitutes Standing By
“A team of facilities experts are laser focused at ensuring our schools open with the gold standard of health and safety measures on Monday,” Porter said.
WATCH: Mayor De Blasio’s Daily Briefing On Back To School & More
“We’re ready for opening and we have a plan for this fall for each school within our system,” Moran added.
Officials say they are taking a multilayered approach to preventing the spread of COVID. Masks are required, open windows and machines will ensure proper ventilation and classrooms will be cleaned daily with electrostatic sprayers.
The mayor said vaccination is key. Teachers and staff are required to be vaccinated, and he called on the FDA to approve vaccines for children under the age of 12.MORE NEWS: 'I Want A Proper Education': Some NYC Public School Students With Medical Exemptions From In-Person Instruction Feel They're Falling Behind
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here