NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The NYPD says officers shot and killed a man armed with a knife early Monday morning in Brooklyn.

Police responded to a 911 call for a person armed with a gun and knife shortly after 4 a.m. on Eastern Parkway near Utica Avenue in Crown Heights.

READ MORE: New Jersey Announces COVID Vaccine And Booster Mandate For Health Care Workers And High-Risk Settings

When officers arrived, they found a man holding a knife in one hand, with his other hand in his coat pocket.

Police said the suspect ignored their commands to drop the weapon and fled into the Utica Avenue subway station.

WATCH: NYPD Provides Update On Police-Involved Shooting In Brooklyn 

“It was at this point, that two officers each deployed their Tasers, striking the male with no effect,” NYPD Assistant Chief Michael Kemper told reporters. “The male then fled out of the train station and back onto the street.”

Police said the man charged at other officers outside the station, where he was shot.

“Two of the officers fired several rounds at the male, striking him in the torso,” Kemper said. “The officers immediately began to render aid to the individual and requested an ambulance.”

Police said two officers fired a total of 10 rounds.

READ MORE: Biden Administration To Give Out 400 Million Free N95 Masks

The suspect was rushed to Kings County Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The officers were also hospitalized for evaluation.

“That’s a tough situation to be in, honestly. I mean, it’s a tough job,” one person in the area told CBS2.

“Protect yourself at all costs,” another person said. “But it’s kind of sad he had to, you know, pass.”

“I have officers in my family, and they’re human. If you can’t get him to stop, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do,” said Crown Heights resident Kisha Smith.

Police released a photo of the kitchen knife they recovered from the scene.

MORE NEWS: Timeline: Snow Expected To Blanket The Tri-State Area Thursday Morning

The incident was captured on body cam the footage is being reviewed, police said.

Natalie Duddridge