NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Zagat, the extensive and highly regarded restaurant rating guide book, released the results of its 2012 New York City Restaurants Survey Wednesday. The study examined everything from New Yorker’s take-out habits, tipping trends and the best new restaurants in the Big Apple.
The guide also named the city’s most popular restaurant. In what some are calling an upset, Le Bernardin was given the title, beating out Gramercy Tavern and Union Square Cafe, which had previously held on to the title for the last 15 years.
“The thing that’s surprising about it is that [Le Bernardin] is considerably more expensive,” Tim Zagat told 1010 WINS. “So it’s hard to be the most popular, which takes into how much things cost. You have to be better by a longshot in order to be most popular if you cost more.”
A trend too impressive to be ignored, the Zagat study also rated the city’s 5 best food trucks.
“We used to call them roach-coaches in the old days,” Zagat told WCBS 880. “The few food trucks that existed were kind of sloppy. A lot of these are run by very, very good restaurateurs and the quality and the cleanliness of these food trucks is much, much better than anything that we’d ever known, even imagined, five years ago.”
5. Korilla Food Truck – The Korean Barbecue Truck launched by a young Columbia graduate and winner of the Vendy Award for Rookie of the Year.
4. Van Leeuwen Ice Cream Truck – Consistently ranked as one of the city’s best ice cream vendors, Van Leeuwen is one of CBSNewYork’s picks for the best dessert trucks.
3. Wafels & Dinges – the truck serving up authentic Belgian waffles.
2. Taim Mobile – A popular falafel and smoothie truck born of the West Village institution.
1. Nauti – City seafood sensation Luke’s Lobster recently rolled out Nauti and the lobster-roll serving truck took top honors.