NJ Teacher’s Husband Defends Wife As Rally Is Held Condemning Alleged Anti-Gay Comments

UNION TOWNSHIP, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Gay rights supporters called for the dismissal Tuesday night of a Union High School teacher who allegedly posted comments on her Facebook page disparaging homosexuality.

Teacher Viki Knox and her husband, Gene, sat down for a CBS 2 exclusive interview over the firestorm that started it all.

“Homosexuality is a perverted spirit……..I know sin and it breeds like cancer!” Knox posted on Facebook. “Why parade your unnatural immoral behaviors before the rest of us? YOU ARE WRONG.”

“Everybody’s entitled to an opinion,” Gene Knox told CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis, citing his wife’s freedom of speech. “They can persecute her, but they can’t prosecute her.”

The school district, though, advised Viki Knox not to comment during the interview.

The school district is investigating Knox because along with the comment, she reportedly posted a picture of a display at the school celebrating gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender history month.

Knox apparently also wrote, “Union is not South Orange/Maplewood where one out of four families consist of two Mommies or daddies…  Why parade your unnatural immoral behaviors before the rest of us?  I/we do not have to accept anything, anyone, any behavior or any choices!  I do not have to tolerate anything others wish to do.”

Meanwhile, a rally was held Tuesday night declaring that “students have rights,” as those at the event held signs reading “No Hate In Our State.”

“Bigotry and prejudice can’t be taught to the kids. We’re looking at children committing suicide over this,” one man told 1010 WINS’ Eileen Lehpamer.

1010 WINS’ Eileen Lehpamer reports from Tuesday night’s rally

“It’s disgusting that she’s saying all this and posting it online.  She should just keep it to herself,” said student Stephanie Rivero.

Activists from Garden State Equality, a gay rights organization, were at Tuesday night’s Union Township School Board meeting to call for Knox’s dismissal.

Steven Goldstein, the Chair of Garden State Equality, said Knox has no business being in front of a classroom.

“You can’t separate what goes on the internet from what goes on in the classroom,” said Goldstein. “The same students you teach in the classroom are going to see her as a teacher spewing such hate. The second you post on Facebook for all the world to see, it makes you a public person.”

Goldstein said the key issue is that Knox identified herself as a Union High School teacher before posting the anti-gay rant.

“Shouldn’t a school teacher be held to a higher standard?” Goldstein asked.

After the controversy, Gene Knox said that while his stance would be the same, his wife might not have posted the comments on Facebook if she had to do it again.

Dozens of counter-protesters showed up Tuesday night and said Knox has a right to freedom of speech and some agreed with the viewpoint she allegedly expressed.

“It’s just a sin, just like a lie, just like anything you do. It’s a sin,” one woman said.

“She spoke what she honestly felt in her heart, what the Bible teaches,” said Paul Simon of the Calvary Chapel of Monmouth County.

viki knox rally NJ Teachers Husband Defends Wife As Rally Is Held Condemning Alleged Anti Gay Comments

(credit: CBS 2)

Former Union Township councilman John Paragano said he brought the alleged anti-gay comments, which have since been removed, to the attention of school officials and called for Knox’s dismissal.

Last week, the superintendent said Knox is under investigation and appropriate action has and will be taken but would not say if Knox was suspended.

The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey has come to Knox’s defense, releasing a statement defending her First Amendment right to express herself.

There has been no decision yet from the school board at its meeting. Knox, meanwhile, is out of classroom on paid administrative leave.

What do you think? Sound off below in our comments section…

Comments

1. SUSAN says:

MRS. KNOX IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT IN HER BELIEFS…AND…
    IN HER PUBLIC STATEMENTS. THE LORD GOD WHO CREATED OUR BODIES, HAD SPECIFIC PURPOSES FOR EACH OF OUR BODY PARTS, AND HE, HIMSELF, SAID THAT HOMOSEXUAL AND ALL OTHER PERVERTED SEXUAL CONDUCT IS AN ABOMINATION TO HIM, AND SUCH WILL NEVER ENTER INTO ETERNAL LIFE.
    AND HE SHOULD KNOW, FOR HE ESTABLISHED HIS LAWS, AND SET THE RULES AND STANDARDS FOR THIS MORTAL LIFE.
    THE ONES WHO SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED ARE THOSE WARPED MINDS WHO CELEBRATE HOMOSEXUALITY, AND CONTAMINATE THE MINDS OF STUDENTS,WHOSE INNOCENCE IS BEING STOLEN.
    INSTEAD OF TRUE ACADEMIC EDUCATION,THESE POOR YOUTH ARE BEING BRAINWASHED BY AN AGGRESSIVE, PRO-HOMOSEXUAL AGENDA. JUST ONE GENERATION AGO, SUCH “TEACHING” WOULD HAVE BEEN SO REPREHENSIBLE THAT THOSE DOING IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONES FIRED, YET PEOPLE ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO WONDER WHY AMERICA IS LAGGING BEHIND OTHER NATIONS EDUCATIONALLY?????????????????????
    THIS IS ONE MAJOR REASON WHY.
    I WOULDN’T ALLOW MY CHILD IN PUBLIC SCHOOL THESE DAYS.
    AS FAR AS “HOMOPHOBIA”, THE TERM ITSELF IS IGNORANT,
    DESIGNED TO INTIMIDATE “NON-CONVERTS” TO THIS RADICAL AGENDA WITH PUBLIC RIDICULE.
    FOR ANYONE WHO TRULY UNDERSTANDS THAT “PHOBIAS” ARE IRRATIONAL FEARS, AND THAT HOMOSEXUALITY IS A SIN BEFORE GOD, AND AGAINST SELF AND SOCIETY, AND DOES IN FACT, HELP DESTROY THE MORAL FIBER OF ANY SOCIETY, THEN THAT THINKING, RATIONAL PERSON CAN READILY DISCERN THE DIFFERENCE….BETWEEN FEAR AND SIN.
    HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT CAUGHT, IT’S TAUGHT..AND ENCOURAGED,
    EVEN EMBRACED, BY THOSE LACKING UNDERSTANDING IN PREDETERMINED GENDER ROLES AND FUNCTIONS.
    AS FAR AS SO-CALLED “HATE SPEECH”, SINCE WHEN IS TELLING THE TRUTH “HATEFUL” OR “HATE-FILLED”? IF YOU TRULY CARE FOR PEOPLE, THE TRUTH IS WHAT YOU DO SHARE; ANYTHING LESS IS DISHONEST, AND HURTS ALL CONCERNED.
    TEACHERS OF YEARS GONE BY USED TO IMPART MORAL INSTRUCTION AS OVERALL INTEGRATION IN THE EDUCATIONAL PROCESS, AND FAILURE TO DO SO WAS REMISS.
    NOW…..TEACHERS ARE INVESTIGATED, PERSECUTED, AND EVEN TERMINATED FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH. PEOPLE, LET ME TELL YOU, THE ONES PROMOTING THIS DEVIANT LIFESTYLE ARE THE ONES WHO NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED AND TERMINATED.
    YOU MIGHT CHANGE MAN’S LAW, BUT YOU WILL NEVER CHANGE GOD’S LAW. IN THE FINAL ANALYSIS, HE WILL HAVE HIS SAY.
    NOW, GO AHEAD AND INVESTIGATE ME FOR SHARING MY STRAIGHTFORWARD BELIEFS.

2. just sayin says:

i hope you all realize it’s completely idiotic to hold this woman to a higher standard because she’s black. you claim that because of her race, she should know better because of the civil rights movement. you apparently forgot what happened during that time and how dissimilar it is to this very situation. she did not single out gay students in her class, force them to use separate and worse facilities in the school, or any other thing that even mildly compares to the examples many have brought up.

her opinion is fine on facebook. correct, her fault is that she shouldn’t have brought up her position as a teacher. regardless, she is entitled to her opinion. while that may be troubling to you, and i understand the adverse effects that hateful opinions can eventually have, you also have to realize how extremely different this case is from those where people use their opinions of bigotry and enact them in hate crimes against others. this woman did nothing of the sort. in fact, your rejection of her makes you just as much of a hypocrite as you believe her to be. if you claim to be “tolerant” but only tolerate those who agree with you, you’re actually not tolerant at all.

3. Marcella Rocha says:

After long thought and extensive due diligence on this subject brought up by Ms. Knox, I support her 1st amendment right. Now as to content. Name me one Bank, one Wall Street Firm, one Entertainment Company Power Broker or one head of a Public Company besides Fred Smith at FedEx that isn’t of Jewish descent? I’m waiting. Interesting viewpoint Ms. Knox. I’m not saying to persecute anyone but Ms. Knox speaks the truth as to who controls the vast amount of INC 500 Companies. This isn’t a negotiation people it’s fact.

Ms. Knox, put up some type of website please….

4. Jim in Orlando says:

I support freedom of speech. It is a tremendous freedom, just look at those in other countries such as China and Iran, who speak against the party line.
    HOWEVER… this is not freedom of speech. Mrs. Knox is in a public position of influence. She does NOT have the right to say anything she wants to those she influences – her SECULAR PUBLIC SCHOOL students.

I have seen it written that she is exercising her “religious freedom”. Let me tell you all about “religious freedom” – for christians in the USA that has been the ultimate hall pass to interfere with laws, lobby legislators, and push their christian agenda. It has been happening for close to 2 centuries in this country and it continues today with homosexuals and abortion as the primary targets.

Dear christians – it is NONE of your business – now leave us the heck alone. Freedom of speech my donkey…

5. Carlos says:

ok… As a Gay man I must admit that to hear someone say the things Mrs Knox said is appaling. However, in this world there will always be people who have opposing views on any issue. What that being said, she was not acting or saying these things in the classroom. It was her free time on her facebook page with people who choose to be her friend.

The best way to combat views like this is to live our lives the way that God intended us to live, inspite of what others believe or may say… and let the light of our lives shine. I am a Gay Christian and honestly don’t give a rip that someone believes that I’m an abomination; as long as it doesn’t interfere with my freedom to be who I am. I don’t believe that Mrs Knox was teaching her hatred of Gays in the classroom as that would violate the separation of Church and State.

I hold true to the Freedom of Speech and it’s something I fought for as a US Marine as well.

6. Tabitha says:

Wow this is what’s teaching nowadays? Fire her! We don’t need morons like this teaching our kids

7. Jessica S Naples FL says:

I’m glad I didn’t renew my ACLU membership and I won’t until they learn how to establish boundaries. Freedom of speech is fine until one’s speech imposes on someone else’s rights,

How soon we forget …It wasn’t too long ago that gays were fighting for civil rights for Blacks as well as for themselves. I cannot help but notice the majority of Blacks no longer feel gays deserve civil rights as long as they now have their own rights.

This woman is a teacher and she is teaching students her twisted view-point. Since when do we allow ignorant teachers to remain in the system? How can she not be fired? Gay students would feel intimidated by her. If she were a White woman who said the same words about Blacks she would have been fired immediately.

A little equality would be nice. We won’t see this until equal rights pertain to ALL PEOPLE, whatever their color or orientation. A Black person doesn’t deserve extra consideration because of her color. Blacks can be just a prejudiced as Whites and this is a perfect example. Now do the right thing about it and kick her BEHIND out of the school system. She doesn’t belong teaching in a school where she can be teaching children her warped views.

Her posts in FACEBOOK are a form of bullying. Her words are calculated to make gay students feel bad and inferior. How can schools have zero tolerance for bullying and allow teachers to bully gay students?

8. DaEmph says:

No hate in our state? Don’t make me laugh!!!

9. Straight and Narrow says:

Why can’t everyone be Straight and Narrow?

10. M.A.D says:

GONE ARE THE DAYS WE WERE ABLE TO EXPRESS OURSELVES OPENLY. TODAY WE HAVE TO THINK OF WHOM WILL BE OFFENDED. SAD THAT THE LAND OF THE FREE IS NO MORE.

1. StevyD says:

OK “mad”, without considering the niceties of being polite by not saying anything if you can’t say something nice, offending the gay citizens or parents of gay kids (and gay kid themselves) who help pay her salary is a perfect reason for keeping her mouth shut. You may harken back the days of yore when southerners and others could say atrocious things about black people, but I wonder if Mrs. Knox would then defend your rights to free speech.

11. NYGirl says:

nbrichard – i love how you pro-gay people bring up the animal kingdom. what animals are homosexuals? And if some animals due commit this heinousness it’s because their showing their domination – it’s certainly not for pleasure. To compare the animal kingdom to humanity shows just how lost a troubled soul you are. We should act like the animals? Yes, I believe when GOD opened the gates of hell all sexual preversion, pedophilia and every sick other disgusting thing that humans are capable of were allowed to incarnate into this world, take a good look at the world today, but the party is going to be over very soon. So you keep thinking that everything is allright and as it should be fool!

1. James says:

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant#Social_behavior

African as well as Asiatic males will engage in same-sex bonding and mounting. The encounters are analogous to heterosexual bouts, one male often extending his trunk along the other’s back and pushing forward with his tusks to signify his intention to mount. Unlike heterosexual relations, which are always of a fleeting nature, those between males result in a “companionship”, consisting of an older individual and one or two younger, attendant males. Same-sex relations are common and frequent in both sexes, with Asiatic elephants in captivity devoting roughly 46% of sexual encounters to same-sex activity.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

12. Raj says:

I hope this disease does not spread back to my home country.

1. Marcella Rocha says:

No Raj, I’m with you. Folks could lose thier heads with stuff like this.

13. karen says:

Given the current climate with the teen bullying that seems to be running rampant through the US due from kids being gay/homosexuals, having someone who is around school age children who is stating views like hers on Facebook is nothing short of dangerous. Think of the kids here, what they don’t need is an anti gay adult who is with the kids for most of the day. I am sorry this not freedom of speech this is an attack on homosexuality which we all know is a factor in bullying. She and her views need to go.

1. true2nj says:

Wow Kaen, she looks like she is real dangerous to me.
      People like you act like she is bullying gay kids and harassing them all day long.
      She has been teaching for over twenty years.
      Who says that every parent feels the same way you do, what if they like Ms. Knox and want her to stay. What do you think that all of the kids in her class are gay or they can’t think for themselves? This is high school not 1st Grade

2. jeff says:

this is not freedom of speech? Really?

14. true2nj says:

I am sick and tiired of the Homosexuals and the liberal media jamming their life style down our throats. What a person does in their bedroom is their business.
    But stop trying to get me to accept your lifestyle as normal and calling me a bigot if I do not accept it. Before this incident ,I did not think of myself as a Homophobe but now I am definitely a Homophobe and I am proud of it.

1. Barry Mattison says:

Sorry we offended you….BIGOT! If you’re so “sick and tired of homosexuals and the liberal medija jamming their lifestyles down [your] throat”…THEN CLOSE YOUR MOUTH! Then again, maybe you’re not a bigot, but you are certainly a hypocrite. Do you come home at night from the bar, beat your wife, yell at the kids and kick the dog for annoying your space? Over 50% of the hetero’s in this country do. The rate of divorce, domestic violence and child abuse has never been higher, and you vow to support more hate? No, you are a BIGOT, definitely a bully, and possibly could contribute to the beating or suicide of some teenager that doesn’t yet understand who they are and has to listen to people like you stand behind the 1st Amendment, spewing hate, ignorance and downright, uneducated stupidity. Jeez I hate ignorance…maybe I’m a bigot just like you? I’m just not feeling so proud about it though for some reason.

1. true2nj says:

I think you are the only bigot here because you are accusing me of thing I have never done or would ever dream of doing.
        Where did you get your statistics from the 50% of the heteros beat there wives?
        You probably got it from one of radical Gay right’s organizations.
        It sounds like (gay) people like you are the only ones that are filled with hate and bigotry!
        Be honest, if you had your way right now you would like to bully me to the point where I would commit suicide.

1. true2nj says:

Corrrection
          I think you are the only bigot here because you are accusing me of things I have never done or would ever dream of doing.
          Where did you get your statistics from about the 50% of the heteros beating their wives? You probably got it from a radical Gay right’s organizations.

2. StevyD says:

I am sorry that you are so easily jammed. It sounds like a simple case of not being able to think for yourself. We gay people do not give a iota of our time or care a rat’s tail about your acceptance. What we demand is that we are not publicly insulted, condemned en mass or mistreated by the public servants that we equally support and pay with our taxes as fellow American citizens. If you had a thimble’s worth of politeness, you’d understand that.

1. true2nj says:

I am able to think for myself. You just think I am not able to do so because I do not agree with your lifestyle.
        All that people like me demand is that people like you quit trying to get us to accept your sexual orientation as normal and to stop bullying us.

15. Tom says:

I’m not a supporter of homosexuality and personally believe it is wrong. That said, I am a believer of personal freedom that allows individuals to pursue these endeavors, free of harassment, prejudice or personal harm from those who disagree. That said, I do not believe we should embrace this activity as normal in our lives and we should not be celebrating it and promoting it as an acceptable alternative in school. As a person, I must (and do) tolerate and respect the rights of others. I am also entitled to the right of not being forced to be a proponent of activities that I deem morally reprehensible.

1. Jim in Orlando says:

Tom, please tell me why you believe so strongly that homosexuality is wrong. What makes you so against it? You do not have to be a proponent, but you also cannot be an antagonist as well, which is what Mrs. Knox has decided to do.

1. His judgement is at hand says:

Because there’s that little saying “be ye not unequally yolked”

16. nrichard says:

i hope to God that if and when you have children – they all end up BORN GAY -yes, fact BORN that way – even in the animal world yes – moron

1. Sam says:

I truly agree! I hope that every homophobe who is married ends up with a gay son. Then only would they understand what it really feels like.

17. nrichard says:

The point is not about free speech – the point is that most schools in NJ require all employees to sign a contract stating that they will refrain from doing something that would bring negative publicity upon the school district – such as posting such things on public websites. You can have your views but when it brings such attention to your employer – in this case a school district – there are consequences. Everyone has the right to free speech but the employer also has the right to demand restraint.

18. lieutenantdan says:

I believe in free speech for all and that includes this teacher.
    Some may or may not agree with this person opinion but she does have the right to her opinion and we all should agree with that fact.

1. topo says:

Lev.18:22 Thou SHALT NOT lay with mankind as with womankind, IT IS AN ABOMINATION. So what shall we do here people, charge God with a hate crime and censor Him. God bless this school teacher”s heart for taking a stand in Jesus Christ. Sodomites are an evil spirit, so sayth the Truth….God.

1. John L says:

You like reading fairy tales and living your life by them, huh?

2. Roe says:

AMEN to that Topo!!!

3. rayinatl says:

Do you eat seafood? If so you are commiting a sin there. If you look at someone of the opposite sex you are suppose to poke your eyes out. If your right hand is doing something woring you should cut it off. etc. The Bible was man written and not by Jesus himself. I do not believe that if you are gay that you are going to hell. Whatever

4. Chris says:

Take your bible and shove it

5. Barry Mattison says:

I just love it when Bible-toting “Christian”, non-sinners extract bible verses out of context to fit their personal agenda. And BTW, have you not heard about a section of the Constitution that mentions the need for the separation of church and state? “We” are tired of having your agenda shoved down our throats, and you are tired of “us” shoving our agenda (I’m not sure what that agenda is either, just asking for equality) down your narrow-minded throats. So…who’s right, who’s wrong? Both, or no one? Who makes the final judgement about this question? And more importantly, who DOESN’T? If you want to state your opinion on a subject, at least have the intelligence, and integrity, to use your own words, not those snippets from people who lived thousands of years ago.

2. geeky says:

She should keep her opinion off of Facebook if she doesn’t want her employer to know that she’s a bigot who shouldn’t be teaching anyone’s kids. It’s beyond me how a black woman can so easily and loudly subject another group of people to blind hatred and bigotry because of who they are. It wasn’t that long ago it was considered common knowledge that black people were genetically inferior to whites, and Viki would have been riding on the back of the bus, using separate bathrooms and water fountains and not have been afforded the opportunity to become an educator. People at the time defended their ignorance as “biblical truth” just as Viki is doing now. She is a hypocrite, and does not deserve any sympathy.

1. Jim in Orlando says:

geeky, well said.
        I for one am sick of being vilified when I am a hard working taxpayer and she is paid by taxpayer’s money. She is the worst type of hypocrite.

2. seriously? says:

geeky,
        You think that because she disagrees with you then she shouldn’t be teaching? You belong on an island with all of your little like-minded friends to raise little like-minded kids on your own. She has the right to have a different opinion and because she does, it doesn’t make her a bigot. You are the bigot!

1. Barry Mattison says:

@seriously: you’re absolutely right! She does have the right to have her own opinion-at home, in the store, at the neighbors house, etc. But, she does not have the right to put her opinion into words on a public page or in the classroom as a figure of authority over young people who have not had the chance to grow developmentally to the point that they can distinguish the difference between opinion and hate. Do you even know what “bigot ” means anyway? A bigot is “a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing sex, race, ethnicity, religion or spirituality, nationality, language, inter-regional prejudice, gender and sexual orientation, age, homelessness, various medical disorders particularly behavioral disorders and addictive disorders.” I’d say that makes her (and you) bigots!

19. Jim in Orlando says:

Just like Jerry Buell from Lake County Florida, this religious person believes she has the god-given right to preach to the public and her public school students about what she believes from the bible.

She does NOT have that right. Do I have a first amendment right to say I don’t like black people? Sure I do – if I said it in public, on Facebook, or in the classroom… imagine the outcry. But because she is christian she is free to swing away at the LGBT community and stand indignantly and say she is within her rights. I love how these christians pick and chose from the bible what they want to preach about.

She should go teach in a christian school where she can spew her nonsense – but keep christianity and other religious beliefs OUT of the PUBLIC SECULAR SCHOOL SYSTEMS.

1. topo says:

I see, so the sodomites cramming their vile sin down the publics craniumi is ok huh ? but let a Christian preach whats right in the eyes of God as we are instructed to do and we’re the bad people ? Yr head is as bent as the sin of sodomy itself sir.

1. Jim in Oriando says:

topo, your head is stuck so far into the bible you cannot think for yourself. The whole world is not christian, there are many religions, many beliefs, many holy books. The USA is a secular republic. What you think of as “sins” are what was taught to you by your christian upbringing and the bible stories. They have nothing to do with secular law.
        My head is not bent my friend, thank god I am an atheist. I believe in live and let live – unlike christians I don’t go around sticking my nose in people’s private lives.

2. bhonest says:

Topo, if you don’t suppress homosexual urges on a daily basis, may I burst into flames where I sit. It’s always the ones that use the word ‘sodomy’ who either think about it all the time or have done it and feel guilty about it.

20. Pat says:

GOD FORBID we call sin sin huh? She is 100% right about homosexuality and I have gay friends and relatives whom I love but I in no way condone their sexuality. Political correctness and the gay agenda in this country are part of our ruination.

1. Jim in Orlando says:

Quite a statement – PC and the “gay agenda” are part of the ruination…

Comon, you’re full of yourself. You don’t condone their sexuality – who the heck asked you.

What is sin? Something you and your fellow christians such as Mrs.Knox were taught from an early age by religious elders – from the bible.

What about those who don’t believe in your god, or believe in another god or holy book, or no god at all? What happened to “Love thy neighbor” – it has suddenly become “Judge thy neighbor”.

Leave the gays alone – no wonder christianity is taking a worldwide nosedive; people are finally seeing it as the hateful cancer it really is.

1. Anne M says:

It’s only “hateful” when it’s something you disagree with, eh? Nothing anyone can say on this site, about being born this way, etc., takes away from the fact that to act on this perversion – even if you feel it is “born” – is immoral. Those of us who are christians don’t hate the sinner, but we cannot agree with the sin.

Also, be careful of what genie you let out of the box. Sociopaths and psychopaths are also “born” – right? Pedophiles, also, yes? Oh, pedophiles are not born – they’re made?? No one would be born to wish to have sex with a little child, right? Because if you’re not born a pedophile, then the nature argument is out the window – because pedophilia would have to be a learned response – hmmmm, then maybe just possibly homosexuality is a learned response, too.

1. Jim in Orlando says:

Oh Anne, please give me a break with the hate the sin not the sinner nonsense. So because you were taught by christianity that homosexuality is wrong, you will campaign against their equal rights because it will open a pandora’s box of other “perversions”?
          If I told you I was married to someone of the same sex, and we love each other and work and pay taxes and till death do us part, you still think your marriage is “real” and ours if not?
          Frankly, christians need to go back to “love thy neighbor” and mind their own business for a change. This is not a theocracy or a christian nation.

2. geeky says:

Who are you to judge? Who are you to proclaim that anyone else is a sinner? I know you’ll say we all sin, and we do, but my being in a loving relationship for the last nine years is not among my “sins” and you can’t possibly know what’s in my heart, or anyone else’s.
          Matthew 7:3-5 –
          Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

2. Robert says:

How can you love and condone the essence of themselves? I love you Pat but I hate women. get it?

3. geeky says:

Loving someone unconditionally, caring for them in sickness and in health, being faithful to them…those are not sins, nor are they part of any agenda. If you’re truly interested in being a good Christian, talk to your gay friends about what it was like for them growing up gay. Ask them how it feels when someone says things to them like “I don’t condone your lifestyle”. Ask them and really listen to the answer.

1. Hypocrit Geeky says:

All of you say the same thing to us…”I don’t condone your Christianity”! HYPOCRITS!

4. StevyD says:

With love like yours, it’s no wonder young gay kids commit suicide. Thanks “lady”.

21. Andy says:

Your coverage of this was disappointing, to say the least. It almost seemed as if you were justifying what she said instead of pointing out the fact that it’s teachers like her that are causing children to kill themselves. No bigot should have contact with children.
    I suspect, after watching WCBS for years, that if this had been a racial issue you would have been calling for a public stoning instead of the pass you gave her.

1. Tricia says:

Your BIGOTRY of bible believing individuals and religions is showing.
      Hypocrit
      Freedom for me, but not for thee.
      Schools have no business teaching and promoting sex, gay or straight.

1. James says:

“Schools have no business teaching and promoting sex, gay or straight.”

Typically reductive. The life of the average gay man or average lesbian is no more defined by an act of sex than the life of an average heterosexual is defined by an act of sex. Celebrating the life of, say, James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States, is a celebration of a gay life. It is not the celebration of a sexual act.

22. hackers says:

Gays have gotten to the LETS SHOVE IT DOWN SOCIETIES THROAT phase of activism…go be gay,bi,tranny whatever stop forcing it on the rest of us!!!! That is why this happens sorry but I don’t give an eff what you do but when you make it a daily issue it makes society hate you more…

1. Jim in Orlando says:

Then please, can the rest of society stop picking on gays – and stop shoving the bible and christianity in everybody’s face. The GLBT community is only giving back what has been shoved down their throats for the last century.

2. WendyPinNJ says:

Yes, you are absolutely correct, it was THE GAYS that caused this mess. It wasn’t this woman preaching hate and not keeping her big fat mouth shut. Why should she accept responsibility for what she said? Let’s blame it on THE GAYS!

3. geeky says:

If we got full marriage rights, and people kept all their negative, ignorant comments to themselves, it would fall out of the news and you would probably never hear about it again. Sounds like you should be helping our cause, not fighting it.

23. Vincenzo says:

The teacher had every right to express her disapproval of gays. If what she does when she’s not being paid to be a teacher becomes an issue, then we have a problem. Did she molest someone, kill, maim, assault or commit a crime against anyone? If gay people feel good about themselves by attacking hetero people, then they should expect the same. Except addressing them in any way that upsets them becomes a hate crime. I will not be bullied by a bunch of hetero hating, bigoted, prejudiced people who think that shoving their gay crap around will all of a sudden make me jump on their bandwagon. If it’s okay for those groups to spew their propaganda and force their thoughts, opinions , and ideas to be accepted as truths, by everyone in the world, then I will be just as committed to my truths and ideals. It’s time to have backbone and forget all the PC crap. I’m sick & tired of the gay community’s stranglehold on society and the eggshells we all must now walk on because of them.

1. Davey says:

It’s scary how delusional some people are.

So back in early part of the 20th century women were “shoving their [female] crap” down everyone’s throats by demanding the right to vote? In the 60’s African Americans were “shoving their [racial] crap” down your throat too? Listen to yourself. You REALLY feel like you’re being “bullied by a bunch of hetero-hating, bigoted, prejudiced people”?? Seriously? That’s like the bully in the playground who runs crying to the principal when the wimpy kid finally hits back and bloodies his nose. Most of us would say he got what he deserved…

Like it or not, the world is filled with people who look, act and think differently than you do. You don’t have to like them, but you do have to live peacefully with them… and the bottom line is we should ALL enjoy the SAME rights and liberties.

2. geeky says:

Imagine this was a story about a teacher who came out as a KKK member on Facebook and posted a photo of the Black History month poster in the school and wrote an angry rant about how Black History month should not be celebrated, and how interracial relations are RUINING the white race, blah blah… That teacher would have already been deemed ineffective and removed. Change the poster to from a Black History month poster to a LGBT Month poster, and suddenly it’s just free speech? How can this be ok?

24. Alex M. says:

I always get a kick out of someone who has been discriminated against because of their color turning around a being a full fledge bigot, she is paying forward in hate…

25. catmusic says:

nj is full of bigoted morons.
    look at the posts here.
    this teacher is no exception…

26. Tomas Green says:

Knox has every right to have her own opinion, but, as a school teacher, someone in a position of authority over young, highly impressionable children, she is not allowed to make such a hurtful, bigoted comment. Some of her students may become uncomfortable or even hurt by this. If she had made a similarly hurtful comment about handicapped, non-Christian, or poor people, no one would have even considered citing the First Amendment.

27. Victoria says:

The Teacher is right of course; Like ‘Aquila729 said, she is exercising her First Amendment Rights. We cannot just except anything. They want us to keep our mouth shut while others parade their sickness in front of others. I AM NOT a defender of gay rights. Thats what wrong with our Country now. We have downed moral values and we now except anything.

1. catmusic says:

you are correct in saying that we cannot just ACCEPT anything.
      like idiotic, unintelligent, uninformed, stupidity. like what the teacher espouses. and apparently you as well.
      but, by your logic, i guess we should say it’s correct to be a racist as well. or anti-semitic, anti-muslim, anti-woman. anti-whatever you endear…
      right?
      do you see how stupid you sound?

1. vincenzo says:

I only see how stupid YOU sound, because it’s okay for you to have an opinion that justifies your behavior, but not for anyone else who opposes you in any manner. I think that qualifies you as “idiotic, unintelligent, uninformed” and espousing stupidity. People like you need a reality check every once in awhile. Take a good look in a mirror and I’m sure you’ll see everything you condemn others for.

1. andy says:

Vinnie, you miss the point and unfortunately your ignorance is shining brightly for all to see. The point is that we cannot allow bigots and their supporters (like you, obviously) to harass and degrade people – especially the most vulnerable in our society, our children. You want to use whatever you can to justify your evil hatred and there are those of us here who will never allow you to do that – especially to a child.

2. Becca says:

Victoria,

Yes, she was exercising her rights but so were the students!

28. stormin Norman says:

Whatever happen to “I may not agree with what you say, however, I will defend your right to say it”.

1. geeky says:

She has a right to say it, but the First Amendment does not guarantee that you can say anything you want with no consequences whatsoever. That would be “consequence-free” speech, not “free speech”.

29. Andy says:

What you all seem to be missing is this. Yes, this woman can express whatever views she wants. I don’t think anyone is disputing that. But in the workplace, you have no “freedom of speech.” She made her post representing herself as an employee of the school system. And the school system has every right to decide if they want someone with those views working for them. I am a federal employee. There are LAWS as to what I can and can’t say or endorse when I represent myself as a federal employee. I’m not allowed to endorse a political candidate in the workplace, and I certainly cannot express views that degrade, insult, and disrespect any segment of our society. If I do, I can be fired. THERE IS NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH WHEN IT COMES TO THE WORKPLACE.

1. Andy says:

And you also have to wonder what your response would be if she had been insulting christianity. I think we would be reading some entirely different posts.

1. Len says:

Andy, you are so right. The whole thrust of this agenda is to silence anyone who disagrees. To say that one doesn’t condone the act of homosexuality automatically makes one a hate-filled bigot. Because this lady is black, as I am, does not mean that she has to accept homosexuality. We understand what struggle is all about, but that does not mean we have to leave our moral compass behind when we evaluate societal norms, no matter who thinks otherwise.

1. Jim in Orlando says:

So Len, the LGBT community is not a moral community? How would you know that? Who taught you that? You don’t see the parallel between the struggle of blacks and other oppressed minorities and the current struggle for equal rights by the LGBT community?

You were carefully taught to judge them. I thought it was “love thy neighbor” not “judge they neighbor”.

30. Sherri says:

“It’s disgusting that she’s saying all this and posting it online. She should just keep it to herself,” said student Stephanie Rivero.”

Why is it disgusting? Why should she ‘keep it to herself…’? Gays, lesbians, homosexuals, transvestites….they see nothing wrong with shoving their beliefs down others’ throats. Why is it all right for them to do it but not her?? I commend her for speaking out about her beliefs, and I stand right there along beside her upholding them.

1. StevyD says:

So if a teacher publicly condemns your children, it’s OK? I’d take advantage of my free rights and call you out right here but my mother taught me better.

31. Ellie says:

Who is responsible for digging up the post in the first place?
    Facts, please!

32. pete says:

I feel sorry for all these people who were born into the wrong body. This is a fact, and if we can not talk about facts, we should not talk at all. These people insist on their Civil Rights. What about the Civil Rights of STRAIGHT people? When we call a Homo a Homo then it only becomes an insult if the person is not a Homo.

33. Jennifer McGee Sheremetta says:

NO! absolutely NOT!! FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!! She wasnt on school time when she posted this so get over it!

34. Johnny Handsome says:

There’s a reason you only allow those you know access to your page.

35. Johnny Handsome says:

I really miss the days when you had the right to say something and not get fired for it. This is a law suite waiting to happen. Why does she have to agree with who people sleep with? This woman is making a statement based on her religion. I know the constitution protects freedom of religion. Not sure if it protects who you sleep with.

1. sammy says:

do you practice being a moron or does it just come naturally to you

1. vincenzo says:

It apparently comes naturally for you, so I don’t know, maybe you should set up some online classes or something. That’s the only types of comments/comebacks that you and others like you seem to be able to deliver. Maybe you should all stop reading from the same script!?!

36. glib says:

i personally support the concept of teaching. without teaching, how would we learn? but i do not want teachers performing outside their field of expertise – like a gym teacher performing brain surgery at home – or an economics professor being called in to diffuse a hostage situation. me, i am a chair moistener – that’s my field of expertise – you won’t see me out there trying to make upgrades to our electrical grid.

37. badman says:

how about if she was a white teacher disparaging blacks? can her

1. Johnny Handsome says:

Not sure what race has to do with who you’re sticking it to.

2. pierredefermat says:

from a religous point of view, not even close to the same thing, torah has God being very cool with Moses marrying a black woman, but torah has God condemning the homosexual thing

38. Pavara says:

I’m in favor of gay rights, but I also think people are entitled to their personal beliefs during their off-hours. What matters is how she acts in the classroom. Don’t muck around in people’s personal lives.

1. EMC says:

You are right ,however, she should nevr have published her personal opinions on a social network. Doing so makes her “personal beliefs” a public statement which is a dangerous risk for anyone who holds a job in education or politics.
      Her exercising her rights to free speech end when her statements become muddled since in this instance she is also speaking as an educator where her opinions are to be left outside the classroom.

2. Duncan Rogers says:

But isn’t that EXACTLY what she was doing? Mucking around in people’s personal lives?

39. Aquila729 says:

It amazes me how these so called “libs” love to defend freedom of speech, so long as they are the only ones speaking. These groups now want Knox fired for exercising her First Amendment Rights, and the stupid fools in local government will probably fold to the demands of an exceedingly small minority that respects nothing but their own rights. When will the majority of Americans wake up in this country?

1. joe says:

When the Chinese take over, by then it will be to late. The people of this country need a good kick in the butt to wake up.

2. geeky says:

Freedom of speech does not supersede an employer’s right to take action against an employee who becomes ineffective at their job because of their personal actions. It might be another thing if she had posted her opinion outside the context of her school, but she actually posted this about a GLBT display in her school and posted a picture of that display with it! In doing that, she made it personal to the students at her own school and their families and friends who may belong to the group. A teacher who targets a group in the school online with an angry rant has lost the trust of the students and cannot teach them effectively. She should be removed.

Comments are closed.