Lin For The Win! Knicks Sensation Scripts Most Thrilling Finish Yet

TORONTO (WFAN/AP) — Call it a Lin-stant classic.

Already writing the NBA’s best story, Jeremy Lin just scripted his most thrilling finish yet.

And just in time for the Knicks’ longest homestand of the season. It’ll be pure Linsanity Wednesday for the first of five straight games at Madison Square Garden.

Nothing about the kid from Harvard should be a surprise anymore. When he launched a 3-pointer in a tie game with a half-second left in Toronto on Tuesday night, the result seemed obvious.

“I knew it was going in,” Knicks guard Iman Shumpert said.

Who would doubt it at this point?

LISTEN: Lin after draining incredible game-winner

Lin’s 3-pointer capped his finishing flurry of six straight points to close the game as the Knicks rallied for a 90-87 victory over the Raptors, extending their winning streak to six.

LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ John Montone reports

Their season sputtering just two weeks ago, before Lin escaped the bench, the Knicks (14-15) can get back to .500 with a victory over Sacramento on Wednesday.

And with Lin running their show, that’s exactly what they expect.

“He continues to impress every night,” New York’s Jared Jeffries said. “Every game he plays better, he does more and more to help us win basketball games. You can’t ask any more of a kid coming into this situation.”

“I’m thankful that the coach and my teammates trust me with the ball at the end of the game,” said Lin. “I like having it at the end of the game. I’m just very thankful.”

Huge in New York, Linsanity was just as big in Toronto, whose international community couldn’t wait for a look at the NBA’s first American-born player of Chinese or Taiwanese descent.

A season-high crowd of 20,092 was only the Raptors’ second sellout of the season, and some 75 reporters and 16 cameras packed a Tuesday morning press conference to hear Lin speak.

“Are we in the playoffs now?” coach Mike D’Antoni joked as he made his way to the front of the room.

Not yet, but they sure have a shot now with Lin.

The reigning Eastern Conference player of the week scored 27 points and added a career-high 11 assists, shaking off a sloppy first half to carry the Knicks down the stretch.

Toronto led 87-82 with less than two minutes to go when Shumpert stole the ball from Jose Calderon and drove in for an uncontested dunk. After a missed shot, Lin completed a three-point play, tying it at 87 with 1:05 left.

Leandro Barbosa missed a 3 for Toronto and, at the other end, Shumpert missed a jumper but Tyson Chandler grabbed the rebound. Lin took the ball near midcourt and let the clock run down to 5 seconds before driving and pulling up against Calderon to bury the decisive shot.

“You just watch and you’re in awe,” D’Antoni said. “He held it until five-tenths of a second left. He was pretty confident that was going in, no rebounds, no nothing. That ball was being buried.”

Lin, cut by both Golden State and Houston in December, struggled early. He didn’t score for the first eight minutes of the game, then turned the ball over on three straight possessions early in the second quarter and Toronto took advantage with a 6-0 run, widening its lead to 13 points.

That was long forgotten by the end.

“When he hit that shot it was simply amazing, we were hugging at midcourt like we’d won a championship,” said Amar’e Stoudemire, who scored 21 points after missing four games following the death of an older brother in a Florida car crash.

Scouts and general managers may have missed Lin when he went undrafted two years ago, but people all over the NBA are watching him now. The reaction to his winner on Twitter was similar to one of LeBron James’ or Blake Griffin’s huge dunks.

“It’s crazy!” Phoenix guard Steve Nash wrote. “I’m watching Linsanity hoping every shot goes in. Hope I never grow up.”

But Lin deflects the praise to his teammates, even though they were going nowhere until he started getting real minutes on Feb. 4.

“It’s not because of me, it’s because we’re coming together as a team,” Lin said. “We started making these steps earlier but we were still losing close games and so obviously it wasn’t fun. But when you win, that solves a lot of problems. We’ve been winning and we’ve been playing together.”

Can you believe it?! Knicks fans, sound off below!

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. roz anders says:

Bye bye Michael Jordan.

2. Les Bondy says:

I love the black fighter who doesn’t like the attention Lin gets because he’s not black. HAHAHAHa What year do you people plan on stop using the race card? Just becuase the guy doesn’t have 5 kids around the country with 5 different mothers doesn’t make him a bad guy.

1. nyz_finest_h8r says:

> Don’t defect here. It’s more Communist than your “homeland”. For example, the rest of the country’s middle cl@ss has to support every New York parasite including yourself. You do seem like a nice chap tho.

3. tnmccoy says:

Seems like the hype in NYC is greater than the ‘flash-in-the-pan’ efforts of Lin. Before you deify him, find out what he does in the long run. He was cut from an NBA team before.

4. freecheese says:

Oh boy! I live in “Fly-Over-Country,” that is the forgotten area between Manhatten and Malibu that is wilderness to snotty New Yawkers.
    I couldn’t care less what is going on in New Yawk.

1. HTuttle says:

You guys have internet now?

5. Don says:

And soon Democrats will hate him becuase he is a 1 % er

6. George Wallace says:

I wonder when he’s finally going to bust a cap in homey’s a$$ and get a tat.

7. Kip Noxzema says:

Darn. I came here for some s3xy Lohan pics. Where are they?

8. michael fandal says:

lin’s performance has created more commerce than the president of the united states. the story is the thing and this is a great story. a healthy tsunami. it is so sweet that his parents are from taiwan a democracy with totalitarian china breathing down her neck. lin’s devotion to christianity clashes with the nihilists and the abortion cheerleaders including obama. the plot thickens. the had of god is at work

9. Tawana Sharpton says:

LINCH those NBA homeboys!

10. Donald Butler says:

I love (most of) the comments so far. We are all Americans. Race should not be an issue. He is on top of his game so Cool! We Americans are the ones who wrote the book on exceptionalism and will again. Best of luck to him.

11. T Ranciglio says:

Rid the NBA of the gansta players.

12. nyz_finest_h8r says:

13. Joe says:

oh shut up

14. Eric says:

Lin. In. Win.

15. Eric says:

The cool thing is the fact that he is a team player, not the fact that he is Asian. He helps his team perform their best, he gives them credit for their contributions. We bball fans have been missing this in the age of Kobe and other self centered ball hogs. We need a new Magic Johnson.

16. Betty Barclay says:

Democrats will hate him – he’s a Christian.

1. krp says:

Democrats will hate him because he is successful

17. st says:

How about just being excited for Jeremy Lin because he’s playing great basketball. I don’t care about his race, I’m just glad that he’s getting his chance at the big leagues. I can also appriciate that he seems to be a clean-cut guy thats not all tatted up. I think that they should make NBA players cover up all their tats, even if it’s on their face. Make’em wear make-up.

1. Robert says:

Amen!

2. Reason8200 says:

Why would they cover them up, you show you approve of their behavior everytime you buy a ticket.

1. Curtis says:

Haven’t bought tickets in 4 years, because the player are usually not the people I want my boys to think of as examples.

3. Steve C says:

Agreed. I’m sick of the gangsta look,

18. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

Winning will not be tolerated by the Dolans. Look for him to face some huge fines until he agrees to be taught how to dribble the ball off his foot out of bounds and throw a layup over the backboard.

19. FN Cee says:

This kid may be the best basketball player from Harvard since an unknown Monroe Trout held “The Admiral” to something like 12 points many years ago … Go Mr. Lin!! Great for Basketball!

20. Lin Fan says:

I am proud of Lin and everything he is doing for the Knicks. For once it looks like the good, straight and narrow intelligent kid made it and exceeded all expectations.

Lin is a great role model unlike Mayweather and for once you see a rise like this and feel better about all of the negativity in this world.

21. Robert says:

As none of us are making millions of dollars as we struggle through these tough times, it is SO MUCH FUN watching a hard working, clean cut kid, cut twice, become a sensation! We all need stories like this. I am a Syracuse fan so I got excited when the Knicks got Carmello, but when Lin hit the scene… now I am DVR’ing every game and rooting full tilt for the Knicks! Go Knick!

22. tom valentine says:

Does not speak well of NBA coaching”s eye for talent; what took so long?

23. angelgirl6922001 says:

Linsanity has even got ahold of me, it even drove me to sing a song about Jeremy Lin

24. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

Definitely have to admire his emotional strength. He’s handled his demotion from Harvard to the Knicks very well.

25. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

Clueless Jim Dolan to trade him away with their next 25 first round picks and cash for Darryl Dawkins and a $400 million contract in 5…4…3…

26. David says:

Are you kidding? Tim Duncan went to San Antonio. Compare media focus on Dallas vs San Antonio, and tell me which market gets less national attention. We can’t even get a professional football team here, because it’s not considered a large enough market. Then consider that Tim Duncan still found a way to win 2 MVP trophies and 3 Finals MVP trophies. Yes Dirk is a good player, but I don’t see him as being under rated at all. Other players may be overrated, but I don’t think Dirk is underrated.

But regardless, this story has nothing to do with Dirk Nowitski. Your point was unrelated to the story, so I don’t see why you felt the need to rant about Dirk here. The story is about Jeremy Lin. Jeremy Lin is gem that just came out of nowhere. He’s not expected to be a superstar, yet somehow he’s playing like one. I hope it continues.

27. Linflammable says:

I hope people stop writing about him, because Lin rhymes with In.

This means we will be subject to Linnumerable bad puns, since his Lincredible performances will yield Linexhaustible opportunities for bad sports writers.

Another disturbing thing is that he’s bringing out a certain Lintolerant attitude among black celebrities.

I hope this comment is accepted, because I forgot my LogLin for this site.

28. tightspotkilo says:

The Lin story is interesting because it is an object lesson in how narrow-minded and tunnel-visioned basketball recruiters and scouts are, first at the college level and then at the pro-level. This ain’t anything like Moneyball, folks. No, they make assumptions precedent about what a first-rate basketball player ought to look like, racially and otherwise, and then go from there, and no way did Lin fit that template. Even though he was the best player on a Palo Alto HS team that went 32-1 and beat perennial powerhouse and nationally ranked Mater Dei for the CIF state championship, Lin couldn’t even get a sniff from Stanford or any other PAC-10 school. After a sterling career at Harvard, he remained undrafted. This is an incredibly smart player who has shown what he can do at every level. He’s no flash-in-the-pan. If anything he’s just going to get better and better.

Meanwhile, the brainiacs who decide who gets to play both in big-time college ball and in the NBA are stuck on stupid, preferring inner-city thugs and gangstas who can “play above the rim” and look to import Euro-trash l ike Nowitzki when they want “diversity.” That’s why the NBA is in such a sorry state.

1. Reason8200 says:

Agreed, its nothing but street ball now

29. Chris says:

It’s too bad he played college basketball in a town that doesn’t exactly flock to it.

30. disc-0-duc says:

Oh God, here we go again. The NYC hype tsunami machine is churning again. Yawn, big f’en deal.

31. hammerhead says:

I stopped watching the NBA after the lockout! I no longer care nor contribute to millionaires that complain about not making enough $$!!!

SCREW THEM!

1. Joeseph says:

Yet, here you are.

2. Jeff says:

I stopped watching the NBA back in the 80’s. When they stopped calling fouls, double dribbles, palming the ball, charging, hanging on the rim…Why hav refs anymore?

3. RS says:

Lord rebuke you Satan.

32. Dennis says:

I’m a Celtics fan, even thought I can barely even watch them play since it’s the NBA. But I’m following the Knicks’ games like it’s my team to see how this guy does. It’s great for the NBA, especially in the largest media market. He’s a humble dude who’s just not saying what he’s saying because it’s the right thing to do, but because he realizes the TEAM is winning. How refreshing. Go Lin!

33. R F says:

I have to make a point. Dirk Nowitski is still one of the most underrated players of all time. I know this is a NY board, but I’ve watched him since the beginning and I can’t help but wonder what his reputation would have been like had he gone to NY or LA. His crunch time numbers and performances surpass Kobe’s. He’s simply one of the best ever in crunch time. But playing in Dallas, he’s never been recognized for it nationally. OK, I’ll keep to Mavs boards from now on…

1. dg says:

Only one ring, not that hard to understand.

34. peter says:

it’s all bias. this guy should’ve been a super star long time ago. it’s becuase he is asian and the coaches didn’t want to give him a chance. now they all regret.

1. Geneoo says:

Not because he is asian… he is not black..

2. Hercules says:

It’s because it’s a great story you idiot. Asian, Black, Mexican, White. Who give a s____? An undrafted guy, cut by two teams, finally getting a chance, what a great underdog story. What does color have to do with it?

1. Mary says:

You can’t deny the fact that no one looked twice at him before because he is Asian. And apparently a very bright one too! Makes the regular NBA guys look kind of dumb. Maybe that was their big fear.

2. OliverPynk Stuff says:

Totally agree with you!

3. Marvin says:

—Ask a black and you will get your answer—

35. New Yorker says:

Wait till he looses one game , the same people and media that are hailing him now will turn on him in a second!

1. BG says:

You are absolutely right! Turn on him like a rabid animal!

2. hatespellingerrors says:

it’s spelled “loses.”

36. Dutch says:

This guy is great!! Congrats to Lin, keep up the great play!

37. Jack P says:

I just love the Linsanity going on. This is the greatest thing to happen in the NBA since(fill in the blank). My wife, who never watches the NBA, has Linfever. I’ve called my cable operator and requested they start offering the NBA subscription package or else I switch to Direct TV. Where can I get a LIN sweatshirt?

1. Jack Peanut says:

Are you also up for a Lin BJ? How about a salad tossing? Man, you reek of retarded schoolgirl!

38. R F says:

And he was a Maverick and we let him go……:(

39. Momofthree says:

See what the power of prayer does? This is no coincidence that he also is a HUGE Jesus fan like Tebow is. With God, there is NO such thing as a coincidence.

40. djlite says:

nice for the anti-thug, anti-ray lewis types finally begin to become as important in our pop culture as the gun-totin, felons who seem to prey on our young. tim tebow and lin are 2 examples of what our stars should be emulating. they’re far from perfect, but don’t espouse morally degrading values evidently.

1. krp says:

You Tebowers make me think of the PaulRats. You don’t pay any attention to sports but you make such a big deal when you hear about some guy who is a Christian.

Bet you never heard of Tom Landry. or Reggie White, or the Hutch, or Mike Singletary. You people are just pathetic.

41. Adajim says:

And…. How much are they paying this guy!!–Looks like time for an increase in pay relative to ne attendance figures.

42. Joan says:

Happy VaLintines Day..Love u Jeremy!!!!

43. Nash Rambler says:

Steve Nash said it all “I’m watching Linsanity hoping every shot goes in. Hope I never grow up.”

Comments are closed.