MSG Announces Another Price Hike For Knicks, Rangers Tickets

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Taking in a Knicks or Rangers game at Madison Square Garden will be more expensive in 2012-13.

MSG announced Monday that tickets for the Knicks will jump an average of 4.9 percent. Rangers tickets will increase 9.5 percent on average.

It could be the cost of “Linning.” Fans have shown a renewed interest in the Knicks this year with the emergence of sensation Jeremy Lin. Meanwhile, the Rangers lead the NHL with 91 points.

But the Garden cited their upcoming second phase of renovations on the historic arena, which will include changes to the upper bowl.

“The upper bowl will offer larger, more comfortable seating and significantly improved sight lines as the incline for the upper bowl will increase 17 degrees, moving fans seven to 10 feet, or nearly three rows, closer to the action,” MSG said in a statement, adding that the price hikes will be “primarily focused on the upper bowl seats.”

MSG raised Knicks tickets 49 percent on average prior to the 2011-12 season. Rangers fans saw prices jump an average of 23 percent.

After last year’s announcement, NBA analyst Charles Barkley slammed it as a “flat-out disgrace.”

“Come on, that’s not fair at all,” Barkley told WFAN’s Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton. “To raise tickets that much, and I understand that all these guys are trying to make money, but 50 percent is a little extreme. Let me rephrase that, a lot extreme.”

The Knicks made the playoffs for the first time since 2004 last season behind Carmelo Anthony, but were swept by the Celtics in the first round. The franchise hasn’t won a playoff game since 2001.

What do you make of the price hikes? Be heard in the comments below…

Comments

1. NY Rangers 1994 says:

I cut my loses at the start of the Ranger season by not renewing, i knew this was coming from last season.

2. toasterfest666 says:

I’m done with the Knicks. My $80 seats went to $120, which is a rip off to see this crappy team. Melo goes 2 for 12 last night against Dallas and they riase the prices?! How stupid can these people be? What happens when they don’t make the playoffs?

3. Kevin Harewood says:

The Big Barn on Atlantic Avenue called Barclays is looking much more attractive with this. They are basically making it certain that a younger generation of fans do not grow up watching live basketball as I did when I was coming up. Imagine what they would do if the Knicks actually became a good team.

4. Frank says:

Fine, I paid the increase this year so Mr Dolans could add another 210 point of sale stations to make money but I’m not next year. I’ll give up my season tickets with out a second thought.

5. DISGRACED KNICKS FAN says:

AFTER WATCHING TONIGHTS GAME AGAINST THE MAVERICKS WHERE MELO WAS LAUGHING AND SITTING ON THE SCORERS TABLE DOWN 15 AND AMARE SMILING AND CHATTING WITH SHAWN MARION WHILE THE MAVS WENT ON A 14 TO 0 RUN TO WIN THE GAME…..I NOW HERE THERE IS A SECOND INCREASE IN KNICKS TICKETS……..JAMES DOLAN YOU LISTEN AND LISTEN TO US CLEARLY…….YOU WILL NEVER GET A DOLLAR FROM ME OR ANYONE IN MY FAMILY FOR GENERATIONS TO COME…… I WOULD RATHER GO TO A NETS GAME BEFORE I REWARD YOU FOR SUCH DISGUSTING, COLD-HEARTED, COWARDLY BUSINESS PRACTICES

1. GaryR says:

Well said DKF…we are of the same mind frame. Can you imagine, you need to be wealthy to attend a half of dozen games a year…whether Knicks, Rangers, Yankees…etc. Sad day in sports.

6. mj says:

if this trend continues …. by july you’ll get PAID $15 to go to citi field

7. SageBob says:

I started going to Rangers games 40 years ago for $4.50 a ticket in the nosebleed section. I still sit there with the real fans. A 36% increase to $53 a ticket is ridiculous. They will force generations of fans to give up and find something else to do. It’s a shame.

8. RichLI says:

The Dolans weren’t gonna pay for the renovations-the fans were all along. Sadly, Dolan is pricing the true fan out of the building. They don’t care, because there will always be someone else to fill a seat. I now go to 3-5 games a year, now it’ll be like 2-3 games a year…and I feel bad for the long time season ticket holder, who like many Jets and Giants Fans and Yankee Fans, will have to give up their seats to someone who can afford them….truly a shame!!!

9. marc b says:

looks like nassau colliseum will be sold out 6 x a year

10. marc b says:

looks like nassau colliseum will be sold out 6x a year

11. sgtbee says:

Everyone is right as a life long Knicks and Ranger Fan I have seen my share of games at the Garden. But these prices are insane. The current economy will not allow take my nephew to a Ranger game and my son to a Knicks game. Its not going to happen. So it will be Islander games and MSG or NBC for my Rangers and Nets and Washington DC for my Knicks plus TV. Plus real fans are the ones who listen to the games on the radio. Lets Go Rangers !!!!!!!!! Defense Defense Defense

12. MIKE says:

WHAT WE NEED TO DO IS STOP GOING TO THE GAMES PERIOD!!!!!

I CANNOT AFFORD TO TAKE MY SON TO THE KNCKS GAME. 200 FOR TWO TICKETS, ANOTHER 50.00 FOR SNACKS…ITS INSANE.

BOYCOTT…NO MORE MSG!!!!!

1. NY Rangers 1994 says:

I stopped going since last year🙂

13. manny333c says:

After 31 years in the blues with the Rangers, it’s time to say goodbye to my season tickets. I can’t handle the jump from $39 to $53

14. 2gruesome2b says:

from yesteryear: i got my first season’s ticket for the rangers home games in ’54/’55. as i recall, it was a 70 game schedule in those days, with only the six teams in the league. there were, obviously, 35 games, and were priced at $1.25 a game, with every 7th game free. so, you had to pay only $37.50 for the full season. the blues almost never made the playoffs in those days, so the was no additional expense for playoff tickets. some of the names from those days; gump worsley, harry howell, jim neilson, andy bathgate, dean prentice,larry popein, earl ingarfield, bill gadsby…at least we got to see the great montréal canadiens and detroit red wings.

15. CT Native says:

So when the teams were losers, did MSG drop prices? Of course not!!!

16. Jay says:

TOTAL gouging. been a fan since 80’s, i used to go atleast 5 Knicks games a year.. have only been to 1 this season because of prices. MSG is simply riding the wave of the hype right now, “strike while the iron’s hot”; if they were losing (like the previous 10 years) prices would stay the same. hey MSG – you should know NY fans are too smart to believe its for renovations – try that on the Bridge&Tunnel crew.. NOT here!

17. Rugbyball says:

I’m a Ranger fan who goes to Island games because I can’t afford to see the Rangers in the Garden. My 6 y/o is becoming a hockey fan but I can’t take him to Ranger games, they are insanely priced. SO I drive out to the Islanders and we see the Islanders play (just not the games against the Rangers, they are sold out by Ranger fans who can’t afford to see them in the Garden.)
    MSG is for the 1% of the world, enjoy your new seats.

1. AL VOGEL says:

to rubyball, i agree with you 200%, i know sports is a business, you are a smart Ranger fan, i was a former Ranger season ticket holder, i used to pay $175 for season when they moved into the new madison square garden in 1968, then they raise it from $175 to $280 the next season which i drop my season ticket subcription that very year. i been living in south florida for 32 years and i go see the panthers play at the bank atlantic center, but least the panthers trying to hold this current season. but watch they will problemly raise prices next year and thet james dolan is a real jerk for raising prices for knicks and rangers games at madiison square garden.

Comments are closed.