New Rochelle High School Students Take Field Trip To See ‘Hunger Games’

NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Hundreds of New Rochelle ninth graders got to see “The Hunger Games” on the day the movie opened nationwide and they didn’t even have to play hooky to do so.

The teachers at New Rochelle High School organized the field trip to New Roc City’s theater months ago. Students were required to read the first installment of Suzanne Collins’ best-selling trilogy over the summer.

“I don’t think any parents had to torture them to finish this book,” English teacher Katherine Cumerford said. “They’ve all read it, they’ve handed in projects, they’ve passed their reading checks, so this is their reward.”

1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon reports

EXTRA FROM 923NOW.COM:  How One Band Landed On “The Hunger Games” Soundtrack

“We collected money in record time for this trip,” teacher Mered Kopstein said.

Four hundred students were taken to the theater — which reportedly closed several screenings to the public to accommodate the school — Friday to see the highly-anticipated movie, which experts believe could break box office records.

Early estimates say the movie could pull in $130 million by the end of the weekend, which would make it the biggest March opening ever.

The Hunger Games” is a young adult series about a post-apocalyptic nation in which teenagers are forced to fight each other to death on live television.

Though students were only required to read the first novel in the trilogy, Kopstein said many went on to read all three of the books on their own.

“It just catches you and keeps bringing intriguing new aspects of the arena and new characters that are just well-developed and make you hold on to every page,” student Luke Holtsman said.

The movie, which stars Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, had a strong opening with $19.7 million from overnight showings that began at midnight.

Have you seen the movie yet? What’d you think? Let us know below…

Comments

1. Drew says:

Woah this weblog is fantastic i love reading your posts. Stay up the good work! You understand, a lot of individuals are looking round for this information, you can aid them greatly.

2. roller coaster games says:

I don’t even know how I stopped up right here, however I believed this post was great. I don’t recognise who you are however certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger when you aren’t already. Cheers!

3. get in touch says:

I’m no longer certain the place you are getting your info, but good topic. I must spend some time learning more or working out more. Thank you for wonderful information I was on the lookout for this information for my mission.

4. mica says:

Oh, dear lord people, chill out. These were 9th graders, not 6th graders, taken to a PG-13 movie of a book they had read and discussed in class.

And, seriously, in what universe are 14-15 year-olds innocent angels who have never been exposed to violence? Most of them play video games that are far more violent and disturbing, and in which they actually take the role of someone perpetrating acts of violence.

5. Joey half A dozen Of NJ says:

What i`d like to know is WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH PEOPLE TODAY. ISN`T THERE ENOUGH VIOLENCE IN THE WORLD, NOW WE HAVE TO SHOW OUR CHILDREN HOW TO KILL EACH OTHER THE LEGAL WAY ON NATIONAL TV.I HATE TO SAY IT BUT ITS TIME GOD MADE HIS APPEARANCE AN BUT AN END TO THIS SICK SICK WORLD WE JUST GET WORSE AS THIS WORLD GO`S ON

1. Leslie says:

but DO NOT bring in a unhealthy lunch or everyone gets suspended.

6. Tallminglecom says:

It’s beautiful and I’m a tall girl, and I met my boy friend on — Tall mingle.С⊙M –, you also can check it for date,it’s efficient..

7. SokrMom says:

What kind of parents allow their children to be taken by the school to see a movie about children killing children? Are they going to see the sequels, in which our heroine Katniss turns into a cold-blooded murderer and assassinates an elected president? What is this school district thinking?

1. Seriously? says:

SPOILER ALERT (See?: that’s what you should do when you include information about things yet to come . . . )

Yah, I’m really shedding tears about the President who was responsible for the slaughter of hundreds of children and who was about to reinstate the games for a new set of children.

The war was still on. If Snow deserved to die for his crimes, so did Coin. That’s what all that “know who your enemy is” stuff was about: the enemy wasn’t Snow; nor was it Coin – the enemy was any system that would oppress people under its rule through violence against the innocent (represented by children).

And was Coin definitely elected (did I miss that)? I know they intended a republican form of government, but did that definitely happen here, or did Coin just take power after the Capitol fell?

Comments are closed.