WCBS 880 Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau On The StoryREAD MORE: New York Relaxes Most COVID Restrictions After Reaching 70% Vaccination Rate: 'A Momentous Day'
Five people had lost their lives – three children and their grandparents, gathered at the home to celebrate the holiday.
For Matt, it was a personal tragedy as that home was where he used to celebrate Christmas with his grandparents, who then resided in the house.
“And it was really devastating, knowing that we had so many happy Christmases and happy holidays at that house,” he told WCBS 880 Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau On The Story.
Now Matt and his friend, Cody Zaro, classmates at Trinity Catholic High School in Stamford, have embarked on an effort to raise money to buy smoke detectors.READ MORE: Actress Lisa Banes Dies After Being Struck By Scooter On Upper West Side
Firefighters will install them upon request, or simply if they’re needed.
The initiative is called S.A.F.E. – Smoke Alarms For Everyone.
Cody says there is a lot of enthusiasm over this.
“We got all of our friends and everybody here on board and the whole city seems to be getting on board. So, we’re getting a lot of donations,” Cody said.
Fire officials say they’re very impressed with the safety effort that’s been launched by these kids.MORE NEWS: Fireworks To Honor Essential Workers Tonight As New York Lifts Most COVID Restrictions
To donate to S.A.F.E., visit the Trinity Catholic website.