NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The long-awaited museum dedicated to the victims of the Sept. 11 terror attacks will open to the public at the World Trade Center site on May 21, officials announced Monday.
The opening will follow a May 15 ceremony and a six-day dedication period, said Joe Daniels, president of the National 9/11 Memorial and Museum.
WEB EXTRA: Photos From 9/11 Memorial Museum
“It will be a tremendous privilege to walk the completed 9/11 Memorial Museum for the first time with those who are a part of this defining period of our nation’s history,” Daniels said.
During the dedication period, the museum at the World Trade Center site will be open around the clock for 9/11 family members and rescue and recovery workers, Daniel said.
“If it’s 4 in the morning or 3 in the morning or 8 at night, whatever it is, we’re going to be open to make sure they can come in before the public sets foot here,” Daniels said. “We want to make sure that our doors are open for them to see it before the public does.”
The museum includes two core exhibitions at the foundation of the trade center complex.
One of them, called “In Memoriam,” pays tribute to the 2,983 people killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks as well as the six people killed in a truck bombing at the trade center on February 26, 1993. The other, a three-part historical exhibition, tells the story of Sept. 11 and explores what led to the terror strikes.
The museum’s regular hours will be 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
“This is a major milestone,” Daniels said. “It’s just a very real marker of the rebirth of the World Trade Center.”
Planners had originally hoped that the museum could open in 2011, on the 10th anniversary. Construction delays were made worse by flooding caused by Superstorm Sandy and by a funding dispute with the site’s owner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, stopping all work for nearly a year.
The planned ticket price of $24 has angered some Sept. 11 family members.
Retired Deputy Fire Chief Jim Riches and Sally Regenhard, each of whom lost firefighter sons in the attacks, complained earlier this year that the museum “was never intended to be a revenue-generating tourist attraction with a prohibitive budget and entrance fee.”
Museum officials defend the planned ticket price, saying the museum’s operations are privately funded.
Daniels said there will be no admission charge for relatives of Sept. 11 victims or for rescue and recovery workers. Children age 5 and younger will get in free and admission will be free for everyone on Tuesdays from 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
There will continue to be no charge to enter the World Trade Center memorial plaza, which is already open. About 5.3 million people visited the plaza last year to see the two huge fountains that sit in the original footprints of the twin towers.
For more information, visit www.911memorial.org.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Trump: Clinton Has Been Bought
- Bicyclist Critically Injured In Central Park Accident
- CBS2 Exclusive: Man Speaks Out After Alleged Attack By Woman On Bicycle In Brooklyn
- Water Pipe Problem Forces Cancellation Of Night’s Performance Of ‘Cats’
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)