NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A driver charged in connection with a deadly crash outside a banquet hall in Queens remained hospitalized Monday.

Kevin Weekes, 20, is charged with murder, three counts of assault and three counts of reckless endangerment after he drove his car onto a sidewalk and hit three pedestrians Saturday night, police said.

Witnesses said it started as a fight allegedly involving Weekes outside the Visions of New York banquet hall at 225th Street and Merrick Boulevard in Laurelton, where a baby shower was taking place.

“The fight started outside,” one witness named Mark said. “That’s how we hear the commotio. We come outside to break up the fight.”

“They came out of the baby shower, getting ready to go home. A fight broke out,” said Michelle Hall.

That’s when police said Weekes got into his car and drove onto the sidewalk, slamming into three people.

“The guy got into the car, picked up one of his friends, went around the corner on 225th, made a U-turn, came on the wrong side of the street and ran into these people — purposely,” said Hall.

Hall said her 19-year-old niece, Kiana Solomon, was walking with 20-year-old Kevin Lewis at the time. But while Solomon landed on the car and suffered cuts and bruises, Lewis was pinned under the car. Police said he died at the scene.

“This was intentionally done,” said Hall.

A third victim, identified as 21-year-old Antoinette Green, was also hospitalized for head and leg injuries.

Police said Weekes fled the scene on foot. When officers found and arrested him, he had stab wounds, suggesting he had been in a fight, police said.

As for what started the fight, Hall said even her niece doesn’t know.

“She had nothing to do with the fight,” she said.

Safwan Sadiq is just one of many neighbors who said they were surprised to hear about the fight or the crash.

“I’ve been here almost three years and never once, especially in this immediate area,” local pharmacy owner Safwan Sadiq told CBS2’s Diane Macedo. “No problems.”

“There is no problem around here, and I was surprised when I saw the news that somebody got killed here,” said resident Errol Sylvester.

Weekes is now being treated at Queens Hospital Center. The Queens district attorney’s office postponed Weekes’ arraignment Monday, WCBS 880’s Irene Cornell reported.

In St. Albans, Queens, police officers stood guard outside of Weekes’ home. His family wouldn’t speak with CBS2 about the crash.

Check Out These Other Stories From
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]


Leave a Reply