NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The FDNY said a fire that killed a 76-year-old man inside his Midtown Manhattan apartment was caused by smoking and has been ruled accidental.

More than a dozen firefighters gathered around Battalion Chief Michael Meyers Tuesday in the lobby of the building where the fire broke out Monday on West 56th Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue.

READ MORE: New York Woman Indicted In Connection To Fire That Injured 4 Firefighters, Displaced 60 Residents

Meyers said they’re going over what they did well and what they can do better, WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell reported.

“We’re reviewing the game film and correcting any minor glitches and mistakes that way we can be better in the future,” he said.

Elevator problems forced firefighters to climb ten flights of stairs to get to the building’s top floors.

READ MORE: Man Steals CBS2 News Vehicle In Midtown, Sideswipes Taxi

The victim, identified as John Doktor, was found unconscious and unresponsive in the bedroom of an apartment on the 35th floor. He was later pronounced dead.

The FDNY said smoke alarms were present and operational.

Meanwhile, the FDNY was also on site Tuesday to share safety information with residents of the building.

“This building, a fireproof building, we want people to stay inside unless the fire is in your apartment,” retired firefighter Lois Mungay said. “Stay in your apartment.”

MORE NEWS: Lincoln Center Transforming Iconic Josie Robertson Plaza Into Green Space

Two firefighters were also injured in the blaze.