NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The search is on for four men wanted for harassing two Hasidic teenagers in Brooklyn on Saturday.

Former assemblyman Dov Hikind and the victims reported the incident at the 66th precinct.

“The mother of the 16-year-old said to me just before, ‘I’m not letting my kid walk the streets,’” said Hikind.

According to their report to police, the 16-year-old boys were walking home from a sabbath gathering around 1:00 a.m. near 12th Avenue and 51st Street in Borough Park.

The boys said that’s when four men in a car with TLC license plates yelled “Allah Akbar,” and “Do you know Hitler? We love Hitler.”

The boys ran off.

“He said I didn’t know what next thing would do – I started running,” Hikind said about the boy’s account.

After the initial report with the teens, two Hasidic men in their 30s came forward as a possible third victim, claiming he was verbally harassed by a group in a car that screamed “Allah Akbar” and profanities at him.

“To say this is horrifying, or that it’s unacceptable is meaningless in the face of events that seem to be totally out of control,” said Hikind in a statement following the incident. “There aren’t enough words to continuously express shock, outrage, and discontent with the unfolding situation of antisemitism in America, and particularly in New York City.”

MORE: Hate Crimes On The Rise In New York Amid Spate Of Anti-Semitic Attacks

Hikind says the mayor and police have been preaching education to combat the problem, but it’s not enough.

“All my life, ‘We gotta educate, we gotta educate,'” he said. “Well where are we? In worse shape than ever before.”

The NYPD says anti-Semetic hate crimes are up 82 percent from last year.

People in the community are concerned.

“If they really meant it, that could be scary,” said Sam Hirsch, a Borough Park resident.

On Sunday night, City Council Speaker Corey Johnson said he would join with Jewish leaders to “call out the uptick in anti-Semitic hate crimes” at the United Jewish Organizations in Brooklyn on Monday.

Anyone with information is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74682), logging onto the Crime stoppers website at www.nypdcrimestoppers.com, or by texting tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enterings TIP577.

Comments (24)
  1. Mitzi Sp says:

Truly doubt was Muslims..I am guessing but more likely to believe trumplikin and probably white supremacists

2. Josh Cohen says:

Meh…. Liberals hate. Nothing new here.

1. Ro Bamford says:

Ashkenazis are not Semites. They are descended through Japheth.

This “anti-semitism” moniker is bogus.

3. Rick Farwell says:

Did they say “this is MAGA country”, too? Jussie wants to know!

4. John Mattaboni says:

Jews have no right to complain. You have voted Democrat for 70 years and this is what the Democrats have done to the country. YOU did this. Enjoy.

5. Steve Hansen says:

If I were investigating this I’d start with AOC and the Minnesota Muslim and branch out from there.

6. Do Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Keith Ellison have alibis?

7. Daniel Schwartz says:

The message shouted by these Arabs is truly disgusting. But it isn’t criminal, it is still speech protected by the First Amendment. The NYPD cannot arrest someone for declaring that they “love Hitler”, so why are they involved?

1. Don Stickney says:

Some speech is freer than other speech, it seems.

8. Marco DeNola says:

some kids got yelled at and it makes the news???

9. You can thank liberals for this, first they bring in the hate from around the world to be ‘inclusive’ then they elect them to Congress. Their motto “Ve tell you vhat to do”

10. Can’t say what needs to said, so I will say it anyway, Wake up fools, you invite the fox into the hen house you get dead hens. Duh!

11. Jay Gee says:

It is a Liberal thing, do you not know they are allowed to be Anti-Semitic. We have so many Democratic Anti-Semitic politicians in our Congress, I do not have time to name them all.

12. Martin Gray says:

Almost every comment here is hateful. Where are the good folks?

1. Robert Quinn says:

Quick !!! Safe space…safe space !!!!

13. Ahh, liberal New York, chock full of hateful shrimp brained liberals.

14. Brad Kaplan says:

Although I’m not really sure if there could be any actual prosecution for this, I still wonder WHY…since NYPD is supposedly looking for the “perps”, is there no description of them in this report? Yeah, just kidding, I KNOW exactly why there is no description…and so do you.

15. John Swanson says:

OY VEY THEY WERE BEING VERY MEAN TO ME SAYING HOITFUL THINGS!

16. Hitler had 3 Divisions of Muslims in his military. Satan owns Islam and Nazism..

17. Gene Tillock says:

Excuse me for disagreeing but this isn’t news worthy of print. I was yelled at walking the streets twice in the past 2 weeks is that news. Is that de ja vu do it’s 1935 Hitler is back we needs 24 hour escorts news. Come on.whaaaaa. We’re they hit. I knew a man merely visiting NYC a couple of years ago and he was indiscriminately shot in a random drive by shooting limping for life and never a word printed apout him. Whaaaa

18. Mitch Haase says:

Muslims don’t have to be tolerant but we have to be tolerant of their intolerance.

19. Rick Fischer says:

It’s 1935. Societies that don’t teach history in schools will see it repeated.